- Title: Italians sing out from balconies during coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF WOMAN SINGING FROM BALCONY WOMAN SINGING FROM BALCONY / PEOPLE CLAPPING TURIN, ITALY (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE GATHERED ON BALCONIES, ITALIAN FLAG HANGING OFF BALCONY PEOPLE GATHERED ON BALCONIES DANCING AND CLAPPING PEOPLE CLAPPING ON BALCONIES, ITALIAN FLAG HANGING PEOPLE ON BALCONIES PEOPLE APPLAUDING
- Keywords: China Europe Italy Rome Turin Wuhan coronavirus health lockdown virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C50XOW7
- Location: ROME AND TURIN, ITALY
- City: ROME AND TURIN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:02:05
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Italians blocked in their homes by the coronavirus outbreak joined together to sing patriotic songs from their balconies on Saturday (March 14), a defiant response to a crisis that has pushed the country's health system to the limit and turned daily life on its head.
From Turin, near the northern epicentre of the crisis, to the capital Rome, people gathered on their balconies or leaning from windows and sang the national anthem or popular songs over the past couple of days.
With the coronavirus pandemic spreading rapidly across the world, Italy is the worst affected country in Europe, with at least 17,660 cases and 1,266 deaths by Friday (March 13).
Italy's hardest-hit area remains the prosperous northern region of Lombardy around the financial capital Milan, but the virus has spread across the country.
The government has imposed an unprecedented lockdown, closing schools and most shops, barring all but essential movement and telling people to remain in their homes.
(Production: Massimo Pinca, Alberto Lingria, Aiden Nulty)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 20:12
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None