- Title: Despite coronavirus restrictions Ukrainian activists rally to mark Volunteer Day
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: KIEV, UKRAINE (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) MAN DRESSED IN PROTECTIVE GEAR WEARING RESPIRATOR STANDING AMONG MARCH PARTICIPANTS WITH PLACARD SHOWING PORTRAIT OF UKRAINIAN PRESIDENT VOLODYMYR ZELENSKIY AND WRITING READING (Ukrainian) "Covid-19 will not save you" VARIOUS OF MAN WEARING RESPIRATOR TALKING TO WOMAN IN MILITARY DRESS HOLDING FLOWERS VARIOUS OF MARCH PARTICIPANTS MARCHING, WAVING FLAGS AND CHANTING LAW ENFORCEMENT WORKERS WEARING MEDICAL MASKS MARCH PARTICIPANTS NEAR PRESIDENTIAL ADMINISTRATION OFFICE (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) EASTERN UKRAINE CONFLICT VETERAN, IVAN SAVELOV, SAYING: "After August 2014 being scared of coronavirus... I do not know if anyone here can be afraid of it." MARCH PARTICIPANTS NEAR PRESIDENTIAL ADMINISTRATION OFFICE MARCH PARTICIPANTS HOLDING BANNER READING (Ukrainian) "NO TO CAPITULATION" (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) EASTERN UKRAINE CONFLICT VETERAN, GLEB BABICH, SAYING: "We do it (hold rally) every year. This year is special because of the things which are happening on the state level. We observe not only the betrayal of the country's interests, but also of the things which these people fought for. That's why we are here, and I am here." FLAGS WAVING VARIOUS OF MEDICAL WORKERS IN CROWD (SOUNDBITE) (Ukrainian) EASTERN UKRAINE CONFLICT VETERAN, YAROSLAV LISOVIY, SAYING: "Why to be afraid? Did you see how many people use the subway? Millions. We are outdoors with the fresh air, everything is fine." POLICE WEARING PROTECTIVE GEAR (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) VOLUNTEER PARAMEDIC WHO SERVED IN EASTERN UKRAINE CONFLICT, SVETLANA ANDRIYCHUK, SAYING: "It is our special day, day of all people who help and fight for the independence of Ukraine." MARCH PARTICIPANTS STANDING WITH FLAGS
- Keywords: Donetsk Ukrainian crisis breakaway republics conflict veterans coronavirus covid-19 eastern Ukraine mass gathering rally
- Reuters ID: LVA001C50XD1J
- Location: KIEV, UKRAINE
- City: KIEV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Duration: 00:02:24
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Story Text: Eastern Ukraine conflict veterans gathered despite a recent recommendation by Kiev's authorities not to organise public events of more than 60 people, aimed at preventing the spread of coronavirus across the country.
Outside Kiev, gatherings of more 200 people are prohibited.
The 'Day of the volunteer fighter' was introduced in Ukraine in 2017 to pay tribute to men and women who voluntarily created military units which fought against pro-Russian separatists in the east. The first country's volunteer battalion of 500 fighters was created on March 14, 2014.
The Ukrainian health ministry reported its first death caused by coronavirus on Friday (March 13). A 71-year-old woman from Radomysl, Zhytomyr region, died after soon after she returned home from Poland.
Ukraine has two other officially confirmed cases of COVID-19.
(Production: Sergiy Takhmazov, Dmitry Turlyun)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 16:16
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None