- Title: Iraqi Kurdish authorities impose curfew over coronavirus fears
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: ERBIL, IRAQ (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE OFFICER STANDING BY A VEHICLE IN THE MIDDLE OF ROAD VARIOUS OF EMPTY STREETS DURING A CURFEW IMPOSED BY IRAQ KURDISH AUTHORITIES IN ERBIL OVER CORONAVIRUS CLOSED DOOR SHOPS WITH MAN SITTING ON CHAIR POLICE OFFICER WALKING THROUGH CLOSED MARKETPLACE (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MAYOR OF ERBIL, NABIZ ABDUL-HAMEED, SAYING: â€˜â€™A decision has been issued to impose a curfew in the city of Erbil. The decision has come into force after midnight this morning for 48 hours.â€™â€™ SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) TRAFFIC POLICE OFFICER STANDING/ EMPTY STREETS POLICE OFFICERS WITH RIFLES DEPLOYED ON STREET POLICE STOPPING CAR VARIOUS OF EMPTY STREETS
- Keywords: Erbil coronvairus Iraq Coronavirus Iraqi coronavirus patient hospital police
- Reuters ID: LVA001C50XAO7
- Location: ERBIL AND SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ
- City: ERBIL AND SULAIMANIYA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:01:12
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Kurdish authorities in Iraq's Kurdistan region imposed a curfew from midnight Saturday (March 14), forcing residents to stay inside following the outbreak of coronavirus.
Streets in Erbil and Sulaimaniya were empty as police officers patrolled abandoned markets and stopped cars to enforce the curfew.
Erbil mayor Nabiz Abdul-Hameed said the curfew would last for 48 hours until Monday (March 16).
Iraq has reported nine deaths from coronavirus so far and 93 total cases, according to local media.
The country has restricted movement between provinces from March 15 to 25, except for emergencies, trade and employees commuting to work, to limit the number of infections.
The government has also banned visitors from 13 countries - including Germany and Qatar - and cancelled major religious gatherings during the Islamic month of Rajab (February 25 - March 24).
(Production: Azad Lashari, Ako Rasheed, Maher Nazeh, Mohammed Katfan, Fintan McDonnell)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 15:20
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None