- Title: Shops closed, malls empty as Poland fights virus
- Date: 14th March 2020
- Summary: GDANSK, POLAND (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) WOMAN SWEEPING THE FLOOR OF EMPTY MALL WOMAN CLEANING GLASS OF EMPTY MALL CLOSED SHOPS AND RESTAURANTS INSIDE EMPTY MALL DESERTED FOOD COURT/ MAN WITH BACKPACK NEXT TO TABLES CLOSED RESTAURANTS DESERTED FOOD COURTS AND RESTAURANTS/ CLOSED STORES NEARLY EMPTY STREET CLOSED RESTAURANT WITH SIGN READING IN POLISH AND ENGLISH: "FROM 14.03. RESTAURANT WILL BE CLOSED" FEW PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET WITH CLOSED RESTAURANTS AND SHOPS
- Keywords: Coronavirus Gdansk Poland pandemic
- Reuters ID: LVA001C50X8AV
- Location: GDANSK, POLAND
- City: GDANSK, POLAND
- Country: Poland
- Duration: 00:01:50
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Malls, shops and restaurants were closed on Saturday (March 14) in the northern port city of Gdansk as Poland prepares to close its borders to contain the spread of coronavirus.
Very few people and cars were seen in the streets.
In one shopping mall, restaurants and cafes were closed, chairs piled up and except for one cleaner, the entire place was empty.
One delivery man was seen standing outside a closed restaurant.
Poland has reported 84 cases of coronavirus, including two deaths. On Friday (March 13), Prime Minister Mateusz Morawiecki announced that restaurants, bars and shopping malls would be shuttered, although food delivery would be allowed.
Foreigners will be banned from entering the country from Sunday (March 15) and a 14-day quarantine will be imposed on citizens returning home.
The Deputy Internal Affairs Minister, Pawel Szefernaker, said on Saturday that the country cannot rule out postponing the presidential election set for May because of the virus.
(Production: Olga Vyshnevska, Gabriela Boccaccio)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:28th March 2020 15:28
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None