- Title: Paris candidates vote in municipal election
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: PARIS, FRANCE (MARCH 15, 2020) (AGENCY POOL) FORMER JUSTICE MINISTER AND MAYORAL CANDIDATE FOR CONSERVATIVE PARTY LES REPUBLICAINS, RACHIDA DATI, IN POLLING STATION DATI EXITING POLLING BOOTH DATI VOTING DATI SIGNING ELECTORAL LIST DATI TALKING TO PEOPLE SAYING (French): "I'm staying one meter, one meter, one meter away, a few meters away. Everything's okay? See you shortly."
- Keywords: Buzyn Dati Hidalgo coronavirus election local election mayor of Paris pandemic town halls
- Reuters ID: LVA002C55WSAV
- Location: PARIS, FRANCE
- City: PARIS, FRANCE
- Country: France
- Duration: 00:00:49
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics,Elections/Voting
- Story Text: PLEASE NOTE: THIS EDIT CAN BE USED WITH EARLIER EDIT 4076-FRANCE-ELECTION/PARIS WHICH GOES INTO DETAIL OF THE PARIS ELECTION RACE
Main candidates for mayor in Paris voted on Sunday morning (March 15) in a national two-round municipal election.
In a tight race according to polls there is only one certainty -- the next incumbent will be a woman.
Two ex-ministers and the current occupant are fighting it out for the most high-profile job in local government in a country where mayors are important in the political landscape and where local support boosts chances of winning national elections.
France headed to the polls on Sunday (March 15) for local elections, but the rapid acceleration of the coronavirus across the country has led to officials fearing the vote could see mass abstentions with some politicians demanding a last minute postponement.
Voters are set to choose mayors for 35,000 town halls and almost half a million councillors in a vote overshadowed by the coronavirus outbreak and by growing public scepticism about traditional politics in France.
Voters are being asked to follow strict procedures such as not to get too close to other voters and bring their own pens to sign official documents.
(Production: Lucien Libert)
- Copyright Holder: POOL (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 12:18
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None