- Title: Israel shuts malls, restaurants, hotels to counter coronavirus
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: TEL AVIV, ISRAEL (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CLOSED NURSERY AS SEEN FROM OUTSIDE GATE MAN WITH CHILD IN STROLLER WALKING PAST CLOSED NURSERY (SOUNDBITE) (English) 41-YEAR-OLD LAWYER, ITAMAR PANTZ, SAYING: "This morning we have to figure out what to do with our children and what to do with our businesses, with our workers, because they have their children in their home as well. And we need to figure out who is supposed to go home, what we're supposed to do with our life, staying at home and when both parents are working, and so it's a bit problematic." EMPTY CORRIDOR VARIOUS OF EMPTY CLASSROOM WATER FOUNTAIN IN CENTRAL TEL AVIV VARIOUS OF EMPTY TABLES OUTSIDE CLOSED RESTAURANT VARIOUS OF CLOSED RESTAURANTS VARIOUS OF NEARLY EMPTY SHOPPING MALL ASHKELON, ISRAEL (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) STATIC ESCALATOR VARIOUS OF WORKER WASHING PUBLIC FACILITIES AT ENTRANCE TO SHOPPING CENTRE JERUSALEM (MARCH 15, 2019) (REUTERS) NEARLY EMPTY WESTERN WALL PLAZA WORKER CORDONING OFF AREA AT WESTERN WALL PLAZA WORKERS ORGANISING RAILINGS AT WESTERN WALL PLAZA ULTRA-ORTHODOX JEW PRAYING AT WALL WORSHIPPERS AT WALL WORKERS CORDONING OFF AREA WOMEN PRAYING AT WALL WORKERS CORDONING OFF AREAS CORDONED AREAS FOR PRAYER AT WESTERN WALL PLAZA WORKER EXPLAINING TO WESTERN WALL RABBI THAT 10 PEOPLE WILL BE ALLOWED IN EACH SECTION WITH A DISTANCE OF TWO METRES IN BETWEEN (SOUNDBITE) (Hebrew) WESTERN WALL RABBI, SHMUEL RABINOVITCH, SAYING: "The Western Wall Plaza, even in this condition, will remain open. Obviously, we are acting based on the instruction of the health ministry, when every group, every "Minyan" (a group of ten worshippers), will have its own area to pray in, with separation of two metres between each section." WORKERS CORDONING OFF AREA NEAR WALL NAZARETH, ISRAEL (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) EMPTY GREEK ORTHODOX CHURCH OF THE ANNUNCIATION
- Keywords: Health Israel Western Wall coronavirus recession restaurants schools
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55WITJ
- Location: TEL AVIV, ASHKELON AND NAZARETH, ISRAEL/ JERUSALEM
- City: TEL AVIV, ASHKELON AND NAZARETH, ISRAEL/ JERUSALEM
- Country: Israel
- Duration: 00:04:18
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Israel on Sunday (March 15) implemented a partial shutdown of its economy to minimise the risk of coronavirus transmission, following an announcement of Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu.
Malls, hotels, cafes, restaurants and theatres shut down, employees were told not to go into their workplaces if not necessary, while vital services, pharmacies, supermarkets and banks continued to operate.
Subject to cabinet approval, anti-terrorism monitoring tools will be used to isolate people carrying the virus, Netanyahu said on Saturday (March 14).
On Sunday, schools, nurseries and cafes were closed and empty, and employees at the Western Wall - a sacred place of prayer for Jews - cordoned off areas to keep distance between people while praying.
(Production: Rami Amichay, Amir Cohen, Rami Ayyub, Lee Marzel, Rinat Harash)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 14:10
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None