- Title: Central Madrid remains deserted over coronavirus outbreak
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) (GOPRO SHOTS) TUNNEL, MADRIDÂ´S ENTRANCE TO PASEO DE LA CASTELLANA. ONE OF MAIN AVENUES IN THE CITY TRAFFIC LIGHT, PASEO DE LA CASTELLANA PEOPLE CARRYING BAGS AND WALKING THE DOG CROSSING STREET BEGINNING OF GRAN VIA STREET, POLICE VAN VARIOUS OF GRAN VIA STREET, TAXIS, MOTORBIKES AND POLICE PASSING BY BUSINESS AREA OF MADRID PASEO DE LA CASTELLANA PEDESTRIAN CROSSING AT THE END OF GRAN VIA STREET MAN CROSSING GRAN VIA WITH SUITCASE VARIOUS OF CIBELES SQUARE WITH MADRID CITY HALL IN THE BACKGROUND
- Keywords: COVID-19 Madrid Spain coronavirus emergency state empty streets epidemic virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55V51J
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:04:57
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Story Text: EDITORS PLEASE NOTE THIS EDIT CONTAINS GOPRO SHOTS
MadridÂ´s streets remained almost deserted on Sunday (March 15) after the government imposed sudden, severe restrictions on public life and the coronavirus death toll more than doubled overnight.
Spain, the second-worst affected European country after Italy, on Saturday (March 14) ordered its 47 million citizens to stay indoors except for necessary outings such as buying food and medicine. Social gatherings are banned.
Gran Via, the main venue in central Madrid, was almost empty on Sunday with just taxis and motorbikes driven by.
The government's official coronavirus death toll rose by 152 overnight to 288. The number infected rose by 2,000 new cases to 7,753.
Bars, restaurants and shops selling non-essential items are shut for 15 days as the country enters a state of emergency. Schools are shut, keeping millions of children at home.
(Production: Raul Cadenas, Elena Rodriguez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 14:47
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None