- Title: Venice residents buy food in empty local market, Rome shuts Ciampino airport
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: VENICE, ITALY (MARCH 14, 2020) (REUTERS) VIEW OF LOCAL MARKET MAN TRIMMING ARTICHOKE FRUIT STALL MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK BUYING VEGETABLES EMPTY SQUARE EMPTY STREET NEAR CANAL VARIOUS OF EMPTY ST. MARK'S SQUARE BRIDGE ON EMPTY CANAL EMPTY STAIRS NEAR CANAL MAN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASK STANDING NEXT TO DOCKED EMPTY FERRY VIEW OF VENICE SEEN FROM FERRY
- Keywords: Ciampino airport Italy Rome Venice coronavirus health lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55VZUV
- Location: VENICE AND ROME, ITALY
- City: VENICE AND ROME, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:19
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Venice residents on Saturday (March 14) temporarily abandoned their lockdown to buy fresh food in local market as Rome's Ciampino airport shut to passenger over the coronavirus outbreak.
Italian government has imposed an unprecedented series of controls since the virus emerged in northern Italy on Feb. 21, banning public gatherings, forbidding all but essential travel and telling people to stay at home.
Venetians respected the decree with only a few people seen in a deserted local market buying fresh products.
Normally packed narrow alleys and canals of the lagoon city were eerily empty with the sound of the whistling wind replacing the voices of tourists.
The hotbed of the virus in Europe is also having a major impact on airport traffic.
In Rome's Ciampino airport, which is mainly used by budget airlines Ryanair and Wizz Air, a flight for Nuremberg took off on Friday (March 13) night, just a few hours before the airport was closed to passenger flights.
Despite Italy's strict travel restrictions to contain the spread of the virus, flights in and out of main Italian airports have seen a steep decline and check-in areas have been almost deserted in recent days.
(Production: Manuel Silvestri, Fabiano Franchitti)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 10:38
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None