- Title: India to suspend Sikh temple visit in Pakistan to contain coronavirus
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: GURDASPUR, PUNJAB, INDIA (MARCH 15, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) INDIAN NATIONAL FLAG PEOPLE STANDING STRUCTURE REPRESENTING INSIGNIA OF SIKHISM, 'EK ONKAR', WHICH MEANS 'GOD IS ONE' SIGNBOARD READING (English): "WELCOME TO SRI KARTARPUR SAHIB" PILGRIMS, SOME WITH MASKS ON WALKING PILGRIMS STANDING AT A COUNTER VARIOUS OF BODY TEMPERATURES OF PILGRIMS BEING CHECKED SIGNBOARD READING INFORMATION ON CORONAVIRUS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) MEDICAL OFFICER, ADESH SHARMA, SAYING: "The information that we have received so far, is that maybe, tonight the (travel-through) corridor (will be suspended) for the time being, as part of precautions being taken by the government. Precautions are being taken to prevent gathering of people now and this is also a kind of gathering, so, action is being taken to close (the corridor) for now. VEHICLE PLYING/SIGNBOARD READING (English, Hindi and Punjabi): "HAPPY JOURNEY TO SRI KARTARPUR SAHIB" VARIOUS OF SIGNBOARD READING (English and Punjabi): "WELCOME TO PAKISTAN" SECURITY OFFICIAL STANDING MAN TALKING TO SECURITY OFFICIAL PILGRIMS WALKING (SOUNDBITE) (Approximate Punjabi Translation) PILGRIM, HARSIMAR SINGH, SAYING: "Recently, I got this information that the Kartarpur Corridor will be closed for Indian pilgrims so, we are sad as people who want to visit (Gurdwara Darbar Sahib Kartarpur) will not be able to visit it. But I feel that it is important to take precautions (to prevent coronavirus from spreading)." VARIOUS OF BOARD READING INFORMATION ABOUT CORONAVIRUS VARIOUS OF VEHICLES CARRYING PILGRIMS PLYING VARIOUS OF GURDWARA DARBAR SAHIB KARTARPUR (SIKH TEMPLE)
- Keywords: India Kartarpur Corridor Pakistan Punjab coronavirus disease health pilgrims
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55VR67
- Location: GURDASPUR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- City: GURDASPUR, PUNJAB, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:02:43
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: As part of precautions being taken by the Indian government to prevent coronavirus from spreading, the pilgrimage to a Sikh temple in Pakistan is likely to be suspended from midnight on Monday (March 16).
Pilgrims who returned from Pakistan through Kartarpur Corridor after visiting the Gurdwara (Sikh shrine) Darbar Sahib Kartarpur in Pakistan (where the founder of Sikhism, Guru Nanak Dev spent 18 years of his life) were seen going through medical checkups upon their arrival in India on Sunday (March 15).
India on Sunday reported that the number of coronavirus infections had risen to 107, an increase of 23 from the day before, with a western state, home to the country's financial capital Mumbai, the worst hit.
India, a country of 1.3 billion people, has so far fared better than elsewhere in Asia, Europe and North America, with only two deaths because of the virus.
India has already suspended most visas to the country and shut many land borders with neighboring countries in a wide-reaching attempt to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 14:29
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None