- Title: Philippine capital on lockdown over coronavirus
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: MANILA, PHILIPPINES (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE STOPPING MOTORISTS AT A CHECKPOINT POLICE CARRYING FIREARMS AT A CHECKPOINT MOTORIST STOPPING BESIDE POLICE POLICE CHECKING WORK DOCUMENTS OF A MOTORIST POLICE ON DUTY MILITARY HELICOPTER FLYING / HEALTH WORKER CHECKING TEMPERATURES OF MOTORISTS HEALTH WORKERS CHECKING TEMPERATURE OF MOTORCYCLE RIDERS (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) MOTORIST JUNNIE CABINTOY SAYING: "We're in favour of the checkpoints because it's all for our health." HEALTH WORKERS AND POLICE AT CHECKPOINT (SOUNDBITE) (Filipino) MOTORIST FRAN UBLERA SAYING: "It's to avoid getting infected from others, it's better because the situation seems to be getting worse." EMPTY STREET IN MANILA DESERTED BUS STATION VARIOUS EMPTY INTERIORS OF BUS STATION VARIOUS ENTRANCES OF BUS STATION EMPTY ROAD VARIOUS HEALTH WORKER DISINFECTING CHURCH VARIOUS HEALTH WORKER DISINFECTING SHOP, ALLEYWAYS AND HOUSEHOLD
- Keywords: Manila shutdown Philippines coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55UTZB
- Location: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- City: MANILA, PHILIPPINES
- Country: Philippines
- Duration: 00:02:46
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: The capital of Manila was placed on lockdown on Sunday (March 15) in an attempt to control the spread of the novel coronavirus in the Philippines.
With a population of over 12 million residents, Metro Manila was placed under a state of "community quarantine" which prohibits land, domestic air and domestic sea travel both in and out of the region.
Police checkpoints were put in multiple entry and exit points in Manila preventing people from entering and leaving. Exemptions from the lockdown were given to workers, health personnel, authorised government officials, and people travelling for medical and humanitarian purposes.
The Philippine government ordered the lockdown until April 14, 2020 after the recorded cases of coronavirus spiked from 6 to 140 cases in a span of one week, most of which were in Metro Manila.
(Production: Adrian Portugal, Peter Blaza)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 09:55
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None