- Title: "Flatten the curve, go home!": Angry Brooklynites on balcony urge quarantine
- Date: 16th March 2020
- Summary: BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) MAN ON BALCONY SHOUTING "Shut the parks, go home" (English): "Shut the park, go home! (PROFANITY OVERHEARD) Shut the park, go home! Flatten the curve, go home! Flatten the curve, go home!" / FURTHER VOICES OVERHEARD SAYING "Go home!" MAN ON BALCONY SPEAKING THROUGH A MICROPHONE, LISTING REASONS WHY PEOPLE SHOULD OBSERVE CORONAVIRUS QUARANTINE NOTE ON APPLE STORE ENTRANCE INFORMING OF TEMPORARY CLOSURE / APPLE STORE STAFF MEMBER TELLING CUSTOMERS THE STORE IS CLOSED UNTIL MARCH 27, INDICATING PEOPLE TO SHOP ONLINE / PERSON HOLDING AND EATING FOOD READING THE NOTE PEOPLE COMING OUT OF STORE / OTHER BEING REFUSED ENTRANCE APPLE STORE STAFF MEMBER WEARING GLOVES LETTING OUT A PERSON CARRYING A LAPTOP / DOOR CLOSING STAFF MEMBER HOLDING DOOR OPEN TO EXPLAIN SITUATION TO CUSTOMER (SOUNDBITE) (English) APPLE STORE CUSTOMER REFUSED ENTRY, SANDRA CLARKE, IN EXCHANGE WITH REPORTER: CLARKE: "OK, so I came to downgrade my computer from the higher version to the lower version, and they told me that they're close today, alright. And I should go, too. What's the name of the place? (asking someone off camera) They directed me to some place else here." REPORTER (OFF CAMERA): "Do you feel like this is an inconvenience or are you OK with this? How do you feel about that?" CLARKE: "I feel that it's an inconvenience the fact that we weren't notified. I feel that I should have at least gotten an e-mail to say we are closed today. So I drove down here and I got directed someplace else." REPORTER (OFF CAMERA): "Did you come from far away?" CLARKE: "Canarsie (a residential neighborhood in the southeastern part of Brooklyn). But, you know, I think it's based on the coronavirus, I think so hey, precautionary measures." PERSON GOING INTO STORE / DOOR CLOSING / PERSON REFUSED ENTRY WALKING AWAY
- Keywords: Brooklyn Health New York USA apple store balcony coronavirus flatten the curve go home quarantine shut the park
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55XPHJ
- Location: BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- City: BROOKLYN, NEW YORK, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:03:34
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Story Text: EDITOR'S NOTE: INSTANCE OF PROFANE LANGUAGE IN SHOUTING HEARD IN SHOT #1.
Whether to call for the closure of a nearby park or to list reasons why people should quarantine, Brooklynites took to their balconies on Sunday (March 15) to talk coronavirus.
A person was seen and heard urging passersby to go home, "shut the park, go home! Flatten the curve, go home!," the New York City resident yelled.
Many other Brooklynites walking the streets on Sunday (March 15) were surprised to be turned away at the Apple Inc. store where only those with pre-ordered goods could walk in and pick up their purchases.
Apple Inc said it is closing all its retail stores, except those in Greater China, for the next two weeks to minimize the risk of coronavirus transmission, a move that was followed by several U.S. retailers on Saturday. The announcements escalated the global response to the outbreak, as most companies had previously kept stores open.
(Production: Temis Tormo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:30th March 2020 01:02
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None