- Title: As Spain clamps down on coronavirus, archbishop celebrates YouTube mass
- Date: 15th March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 15, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF ALMUDENA CATHEDRAL VARIOUS OF SCULPTURE OF POPE JOHN PAUL II COVERED IN RAIN THE ARCHBISHOP OF MADRID, CARDINAL CARLOS OSORO, ARRIVING AT ALTAR STAINED GLASS / CAMERA OSORO CROSSING HIMSELF AND GIVING MASS TO AN EMPTY CATHEDRAL OSORO ADDRESSING EMPTY CATHEDRAL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) THE ARCHBISHOP OF MADRID, CARDINAL CARLOS OSORO, SAYING: "I want to have a moment to thank those who are unconditionally giving everything to eradicate the coronavirus that is tormenting us." EMPTY CATHEDRAL / OSORO GIVING MASS OSORO GIVING MASS EMPTY PEWS / NUNS LISTENING TO MASS NUNS LISTENING TO MASS OSORO GIVING MASS TO AN EMPTY CATHEDRAL CAMERA STREAMING MASS OSORO GIVING MASS / SCREEN SHOWING BROADCAST SCREEN SHOWING BROADCAST OSORO GIVING MASS / SCREEN SHOWING BROADCAST MIXING DESK AND SCREEN (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) THE ARCHBISHOP OF MADRID, CARDINAL CARLOS OSORO, SAYING: "As we cannot go to the streets, at least we can celebrate. Celebrate and spiritually commune in the church tradition that has been very big and important. It is true that I'm not directly present in the eucharist but it is streamed live. I celebrate it for all the archdiocese of Madrid. When I celebrate the eucharist I'm not alone." EMPTY CATHEDRAL (SOUNDBITE) (Spanish) THE ARCHBISHOP OF MADRID, CARDINAL CARLOS OSORO, SAYING: "To me it seems full because yesterday there were more than 2,000 people following the celebration." OSORO LEAVING AFTER MASS
- Keywords: Archbishop of Madrid COVID-19 Cardinal Carlos Osoro Spanish church YouTube mass coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C55XY6F
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:04:02
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine,Editors' Choice
- Story Text: The tones of Madrid's archbishop rang through an echoey and empty Almudena cathedral on Sunday (March 15) evening, as he gave his first digital-only Sunday service due to coronavirus.
"To me it seems full because I know people are watching at home," the Archbishop of Madrid, Cardinal Carlos Osoro told Reuters. "When I celebrate mass, I am not alone," he added.
The Madrid archdiocese has its own YouTube channel, where on Sunday it broadcast mass to the faithful who could not attend in person, drawing more than 5,000 views.
Osoro cancelled all services in the capital on Saturday (March 14), the same day Prime Minister Pedro Sanchez announced a range of measures aimed at tackling the spread of coronavirus.
Spain, the second-worst affected European country after Italy, on Saturday ordered its 47 million citizens to stay indoors except for necessary outings such as buying food and medicine. Social gatherings are banned.
Some of the first restrictions on worshippers in early March included being told not to kiss religious statues, but these were ramped up in recent days with the cancelation of masses across Spain.
The cancellation of Easter parades that draw millions of spectators is a blow to Spain's tourism industry.
(Production: Raul Cadenas, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:29th March 2020 22:45
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None