- Title: Mexicans lament U.S. coronavirus border restrictions as presidents tout ties
- Date: 21st March 2020
- Summary: CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) MEXICAN AND CENTRAL AMERICAN MIGRANTS RECENTLY DEPORTED FROM U.S. AT MEXICAN IMMIGRATION OFFICE NEAR BORDER VARIOUS, RECENTLY DEPORTED MIGRANTS OUTSIDE MEXICAN IMMIGRATION OFFICE
- Keywords: Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador Mexico Trump U.S.A. border coronavirus crossing immigration president restrictions
- Reuters ID: LVA003C5ZW9QF
- Location: CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO / INTERNET
- City: CIUDAD JUAREZ, MEXICO / INTERNET
- Country: Mexico
- Duration: 00:00:19
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Story Text: Mexicans in Ciudad Juarez accustomed to regularly crossing the border into the U.S. said Saturday (March 21) they were affected by the restrictions the U.S. has imposed on its southern border even as the country's leaders said the border would not close in order to preserve bilateral trade.
Joel Sosa said he was hoping to go to El Paso to visit his parents who are elderly, but was turned back. "I'm really worried because I'm not going to see them for a long time," said Sosa.
Others, however, noted that while the restrictions affected them personally, they agreed with the measures meant to control the spread of the highly contagious coronavirus.
Meanwhile, Mexican President Andres Manuel Lopez Obrador took to Twitter to thank his U.S. counterpart Donald Trump for not closing the shared border.
Trump said on Friday (March 20) the United States would swiftly return any migrants who attempt to enter the country illegally, from Mexico or Canada, while closing both U.S. borders to "non-essential" travel to limit the spread of coronavirus.
Trump also said the United States and Mexico would work to keep commerce moving as much as possible across the border to try to limit disruptions to business and commerce.
(Production: Jose Luis Gonzalez, Rodolfo Pena Roja)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th April 2020 22:52
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None