- Title: Spanish coast guard rescues 21 migrants near Canary Islands
- Date: 21st March 2020
- Summary: ARGUINEGUIN, SPAIN (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF SPANISH COAST GUARD VESSEL CARRYING 21 RESCUED MIGRANTS ARRIVING AT PORT COAST GUARD OFFICIAL WEARING FACE MASK AND MIGRANT WAITING TO DISEMBARK IN THE BACKGROUND MIGRANTS WAITING TO DISEMBARK HEALTH WORKERS CHECKING BODY TEMPERATURE OF MIGRANT BEFORE DISEMBARKING MIGRANTS WAITING TO DISEMBARK VARIOUS OF HEALTH WORKERS CHECKING BODY TEMPERATURE OF MIGRANTS BEFORE DISEMBARKING
- Keywords: coronavirus immigration sea reascue temperature check
- Reuters ID: LVA001C5ZTVLZ
- Location: ARGUINEGUIN, CANARY ISLANDS, SPAIN
- City: ARGUINEGUIN, CANARY ISLANDS, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:01:48
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Asylum/Immigration/Refugees,Government/Politics
- Story Text:The Spanish coast guard rescued 21 migrants in the Atlantic Ocean on Saturday (March 21), 45 miles from the port of Arguineguin on the Spanish Island of Gran Canaria.
Wearing special protective suits and masks, emergency services checked the body temperatures of migrants before they were allowed to disembark, amid concerns that they may be carrying the coronavirus.
Overall sea arrivals of migrants since March 15 has decreased by 20.5 per cent compared to the same time last year, interior ministry figures show.
However, with patrols tightening access to the Mediterranean coast, migrants have opted for alternative routes in the Atlantic.
Since March 15, 1,230 migrants have arrived in the Canary Islands.
(Production: Borja Suarez, Elena Rodriguez, Silvio Castellanos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th April 2020 19:19
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None