Police carry out controls in Italian major cities in the battle against coronavirusRecord ID: 1465212
- Title: Police carry out controls in Italian major cities in the battle against coronavirus
- Date: 21st March 2020
- Summary: ROME, ITALY (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) CARABINIERI MILITARY POLICEMAN HOLDING AUTOMATIC GUN IN FRONT OF COLOSSEUM VARIOUS OF CARABINIERI MILITARY POLICE CARRYING OUT DOCUMENTS CHECKS IN ROADBLOCK AFTER ITALY TIGHTENED MEASURES TO COMBAT THE CORONAVIRUS OUTBREAK MILAN, ITALY (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) POLICE MOTORCYCLE/ POLICE IN THE BACKGROUND SPEAKING TO A PERSON VARIOUS OF ITALIAN POLICEMEN WEARING PROTECTIVE MASKS CARRYING OUT DOCUMENTS CHECKS POLICEMEN GIVING DOCUMENT TO SIGN TO PERSON WEARING SCARF AS PROTECTIVE MASK BIKER BEING BLOCKED BY POLICEMEN CARABINIERI MILITARY POLICE TRUCKS DRIVING IN EMPTY STREETS DESERTED STREET
- Keywords: Italy Milan Rome carabinieri coronavirus covid-19 crisis health outbreak pandemic police virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C5ZVT53
- Location: ROME AND MILAN, ITALY
- City: ROME AND MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:01:26
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Italy coronavirus deaths surged by 793 in a day, lifting total death toll to 4,825 on Saturday (March 21). It is the highest daily increase since the outbreak emerged.
After the measures became more strict in the country, an increasing number of roadblocks are operating to control the population's movements in all major cities, like Rome and Milan.
On Thursday (March 19), Italy overtook China as the country to register most deaths from the highly contagious virus. The total number of cases in Italy rose to 53,578 from a previous 47,021, an increase of 13.9%, the Civil Protection Agency said.
The hardest-hit northern region of Lombardy remains in a critical situation, with 3,095 deaths and 25,515 cases.
Of those originally infected nationwide, 6,072 had fully recovered on Saturday compared to 5,129 the day before. There were 2,857 people in intensive care against a previous 2,655.
(Production: Yara Nardi, Daniele Mascolo, Alessandro Felici)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th April 2020 18:03
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None