- Title: Strong jolt in north-western Greece damages buildings, topples shelves
- Date: 21st March 2020
- Summary: KANALAKI, PREVEZA, GREECE (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FALLEN WALLS AND DAMAGES TO OLD ABANDONED STONE SHOP, RUBBLE AND WINDOW FRAMES ON THE GROUND WALLS OF OLD STONE HOME FALLEN DOWN FROM EARTHQUAKE VARIOUS OF ITEMS FALLEN OFF SHELVES OF A SUPERMARKET AND FALLEN IN PILES INTO THE ISLES (SOUNDBITE) (Greek) SUPERMARKET OWNER SAYING: "What can I say, this is 50,000 (euros worth of damages), what can I say." REPOTER ASKS: "The earthquake was that strong?" (SOUNDBITE) (Greek) SUPERMARKET OWNER SAYING: "An entire aisle moved from its position." CRACKS IN THE WALLS OF A STAIRCASE IN A HOUSE DISHES, PLATES, POTS AND PANS FALLEN BROKEN ON THE FLOOR OF THE KITCHEN AFTER FALLING OUT OF CABINETS, CABINETS HANGING OPEN FURNITURE IN LIVING ROOM OF A HOUSE FALLEN OVER, ITEMS ON SHELVES FALLEN DOWN FURNITURE IN BEDROOM OF A HOUSE FALLEN OVER, ITEMS ON SHELVES FALLEN DOWN VARIOUS OF PAINT CANS AND OTHER ITEMS FALLEN IN PILES OFF SHELVES ONTO THE FLOOR IN A HARDWARE STORE PARTS OF A WALL ON A COBBLESTONE STREET NEXT TO A CAFE FALLEN, STREET CORDONED OFF VARIOUS OF SEISMOLOGIST AND PRESIDENT OF THE ORGANIZATION FOR ANTISEISMIC PLANNING AND PROTECTION EFTHYMIOS LEKKAS, WEARING A MASK, TAKING PHOTOGRAPHS OF DAMAGE (SOUNDBITE)(Greek) SEISMOLOGIST EFTHYMIOS LEKKAS SAYING: "I believe the phenomenon is developing, we have to wait at least 48 hours so we can clarify how it will unfold." LEKKAS WALKING IN VILLAGE DOCUMENTING DAMAGE WITH CAMERA
- Keywords: Greece Parga eartquake
- Reuters ID: LVA001C5ZW4ZR
- Location: KANALAKI, GREECE
- City: KANALAKI, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Duration: 00:02:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Story Text: An 5.6-magnitude earthquake jolted the region of Preveza in north-western Greece early on Saturday (March 21) toppling older buildings, cracking walls, and tossing objects from shelves.
In the village of Kanalaki, older stone buildings collapsed, houses suffered cracks in the walls, and furniture and objects in shops and homes came toplling down.
The aisles of a supermarket and hardware store filled with products that had fallen over, while in one home kitchen cabinets hung open as broken plates lay on the floor.
Two women were slightly injured from falling objects but no other serious injuries were reported, police said. The quake struck in the middle of the night.
Top seismologist Efthymios Lekkas, who surveyed the damages in the area wearing a face mask due to the coronavirus infection, said seismic activity in the area would be monitored for the next 48 hours for aftershocks.
Greece is prone to earthquakes. A 5.9-magnitude quake near Athens in 1999 killed 143 people.
(Production: Deborah Kyvrikosaios, Vassilis Triandafyllou, Vassilis Lolos)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:4th April 2020 16:55
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None