- Title: Cuban doctors arrive in Italy to battle deadly coronavirus epidemic
- Date: 22nd March 2020
- Summary: MILAN, ITALY (MARCH 22, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF CUBAN DOCTORS HOLDING CUBA AND ITALY FLAGS AT MALPENSA AIRPORT VARIOUS OF CUBAN DOCTORS POSING FOR PHOTO VARIOUS OF CUBAN DOCTORS WALKING TO COACHES CUBAN DOCTORS FOLDING FLAG CUBAN DOCTORS WALKING TO COACH DOCTORS WAVING AS THEY GET ONTO COACH LEADER OF GROUP OF CUBAN DOCTORS, CARLOS, WALKING TO COACH (SOUNDBITE) (English) LEADER OF GROUP OF CUBAN DOCTORS, CARLOS PÃ‰REZ DÃAZ, SAYING: "We are here in solidarity with the people of Italy. Our government sent us here to bring our solidarity here." VARIOUS OF DOCTORS FOLDING CUBAN FLAG COACHES OF CUBAN DOCTORS DRIVING OFF
- Keywords: Coronavirus Cuban doctors Italy
- Reuters ID: LVA001C64WBWN
- Location: MILAN, ITALY
- City: MILAN, ITALY
- Country: Italy
- Duration: 00:03:05
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Cuban doctors and nurses arrived in Italy on Sunday (March 22) to help stop the spread of the coronavirus in the Lombardy region.
The group has 36 doctors, 15 nurses and a logistics expert. Italy is one of the countries hardest hit by the coronavirus with 5,476 deaths as of Sunday (March 22).
Cuba has 8.2 doctors for every 1,000 people, one of the highest rates in the world according to the World Bank.
Cuban medical brigades have already helped fight the spread of the coronavirus in countries including Jamaica, Venezuela, Nicaragua, Suriname and Granada.
(Production: Alex Fraser)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th April 2020 19:58
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None