- Title: Palestinian couple brave spread of coronavirus to wed
- Date: 22nd March 2020
- Summary: MAN STANDS BY WHILE WEDDING INVITATION SHOWN ON MOBILE PHONE HAND HOLDING MOBILE WITH INVITATION SHOWING COUPLE WEARING FACE MASKS
- Keywords: Bethlehem Bride COVID-19 Coronavirus Groom Hebron Lockdown Palestinians Quarantine Wedding
- Reuters ID: LVA002C64UCT1
- Location: BETHLEHEM AND HEBRON, WEST BANK
- City: BETHLEHEM AND HEBRON, WEST BANK
- Country: Palestinian Occupied Territory
- Duration: 00:00:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Living / Lifestyle,Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: Palestinian couple Imad Sharaf and Bara'a Amarneh exchanged wedding vows last weekend while under lockdown in the Israeli-occupied West bank, over coronavirus fears.
Amarneh accessorized her traditional white gown with a white face mask and a pair of white medical gloves, while Sharaf, the groom, wore black gloves with his black tuxedo and face mask.
Sharaf said he almost had to cancel the wedding, worried for the safety of his bride and guests, but friends on social media encouraged him to go ahead with it. The couple later moved to a wedding hall in Hebron where their guests awaited.
"We tried to keep distance between people as much as possible," said Sharaf's father, Yousef.
The coronavirus outbreak has disrupted life for millions of people around the world, with many cancelling their weddings due to governments banning large public gatherings.
Couples are wedding in empty halls, with few guests and without a big party afterwards. In many cities, churches and mosques have shut down and religious ceremonies have also been banned as a result.
Palestinian officials say there have been 52 cases detected in the West Bank, 17 of whom have recovered.
(Production: Mustafa Abu Ganeyeh, Mohammed Abu Ganeyeh, Yusri Al Jamal, Roleen Tafakji)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th April 2020 13:48
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Footage contains photographs or artwork. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing this clip.