- Title: Flights cancelled in Amsterdam's airport as it nears standstill
- Date: 22nd March 2020
- Summary: AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS (MARCH 22, 2020) (REUTERS) PEOPLE WEARING PROTECTIVE SUITS WALKING IN SCHIPHOL AIRPORT FLIGHT DEPARTURES BOARD SHOWING ALL FLIGHTS CANCELLED TRAVELLER WEARING PROTECTIVE SUIT AND MASK CLOSED RESTAURANTS IN AIRPORT SIGN IN FRONT OF CLOSED RESTAURANT READING (ENGLISH/ DUTCH): "PLEASE KEEP YOUR DISTANCE FROM OTHERS (1,5 METRES)" CLOSED CAFE VARIOUS OF CLOSED PUB TRAVELLERS WEARING PROTECTIVE SUITS WALKING IN FRONT OF CLOSED CAFE TRAVELLERS WEARING PROTECTIVE SUITS WALKING IN AIRPORT
- Keywords: Amsterdam Schipol airport cancellations flight delays
- Reuters ID: LVA001C64V96V
- Location: AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
- City: AMSTERDAM, THE NETHERLANDS
- Country: Netherlands
- Duration: 00:02:00
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Passengers in protective gear transferred through near-empty terminals in Amsterdam's Schiphol on Sunday (March 22).
Europe's fourth-largest flight hub, Schiphol was almost deserted as cafes shut their doors and boards advertised dozens of flights as cancelled.
Passengers who arrived from London's Heathrow just before 1100 local (1000gmt) wore full protective suits and masks, with some saying they were travelling onwards to Beijing.
Selected flights continue to operate from Schiphol as travellers scramble to return home and avoid global border closures over coronavirus.
The Netherlands has registered more than 3,500 cases of coronavirus and 136 deaths.
(Production: Tara Oakes, Paul Warren)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th April 2020 11:35
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None