- Title: Quake hits Croatia's capital, damaging buildings
- Date: 22nd March 2020
- Summary: ZAGREB, CROATIA (MARCH 22, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MILITARY WEARING MASKS CLEANING DEBRIS IN STREET MILITARY HOLDING SHOVELS GATHERING MILITARY HOLDING SHOVELS WALKING VARIOUS OF CROATIA'S PRIME MINISTER, ANDREJ PLENKOVIC, WEARING MASK, WALKING IN AREA AFFECTED BY EARTHQUAKE
- Keywords: Croatia Croatia quake Earthquake Zagreb damaged buildings
- Reuters ID: LVA001C64UZPJ
- Location: ZAGREB, CROATIA
- City: ZAGREB, CROATIA
- Country: Croatia
- Duration: 00:00:58
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Disaster/Accidents,Earthquakes/Volcanoes/Tsunami
- Story Text: A large earthquake struck near the Croatian capital Zagreb on Sunday (March 22), leaving a teenager critically injured after an apartment building in the city collapsed, the GFZ German Research Center for Geosciences and a hospital official said.
Another minor was badly injured and the quake caused several fires and power blackouts in parts of the capital, hospital and emergency services said. In the streets, buildings were partly destroyed and cars were covered with debris.
Croatia's Prime Minister Andrej Plenkovic visited the affected area. He said the 5.3 magnitude earthquake was the biggest to hit Zagreb in 140 years.
Plenkovic called on citizens to remain outside their homes amid potential aftershocks. Plenkovic and Interior Minister Davor Bozinovic also appealed for people rushing onto the streets to keep social distances from each other as the country struggles to contain the spread of coronavirus.
So far, Croatia has reported 206 cases of the virus.
(Production: Antonio Bronic, Paul Warren, Gabriela Boccaccio)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th April 2020 10:37
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None