- Title: India starts 14-hour curfew to curb coronavirus spread
- Date: 22nd March 2020
- Summary: AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA (MARCH 22, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF BUSES PARKED AT BUS STATION VARIOUS DESERTED BUS STATION SIGNBOARD READING NAME OF RAILWAY STATION IN AMRITSAR/POLICE PERSONNEL STANDING NEAR BARRICADES EXTERIOR OF AMRITSAR RAILWAY STATION EMPTY TICKET WINDOWS AT RAILWAY STATION VARIOUS OF EMPTY TRACKS AND PLATFORM (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) TRAVELLING TICKET EXAMINER, INDIAN RAILWAYS, SUNIL KUMAR, SAYING: "Only long-distance (passenger) trains are arriving at the station, other than that all the other trains, locals (local short-distance trains) are suspended till 10 pm (GMT 0430)." VARIOUS OF PASSENGERS OUTSIDE RAILWAY STATION (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PASSENGER, NIRLEKH SINGH, SAYING: "(Reporter asking: Were you not aware that today is 'Janta' (voluntary) curfew?) I knew about it. But I have come for work. My job starts at night and that is why I have come here." MUMBAI, PUNJAB, INDIA (MARCH 22, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) DESERTED ROAD FEW TWO-WHEELERS PASSING/ POLICE PERSONNEL STANDING NEAR SECURITY VAN SIGNBOARD POLICE OFFICIAL STANDING NEAR SECURITY VAN MAN GETTING INTO BUS DESERTED ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LOCAL, SANTOSH HARI TAMBVE, SAYING: "This 'Janta' (voluntary) curfew that has been imposed by the federal government in every state is good because in Maharashtra and in Mumbai itself, the cases are fastly increasing." PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (MARCH 22, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) TOP-VIEW OF DESERTED VEGETABLE MARKET VARIOUS OF DESERTED VEGETABLE MARKET POLICE VEHICLE PATROLING VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICIAL ANNOUNCING ON MICROPHONE AND ASKING PEOPLE TO STAY INDOORS AS HE DRIVES POLICE PERSONNEL STANDING (SOUNDBITE) (Marathi) ASSISTANT POLICE INSPECTOR, TRAFFIC POLICE, PUNE, BAPURAO BHISE, SAYING: "On normal days, this area is bustling and heavily crowded. But everyone has understood the importance (of staying indoors) and is taking care of oneself. If anyone is coming out, we are also telling them to follow the information (order) of administration and take care (by staying at home)." JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (MARCH 22, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) DESERTED ROAD POLICE PERSONNEL MOVING BARRICADES HORSE-CART WORKERS AT SHUTDOWN FUEL STATION (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) FUEL STATION WORKER, RAJINDER KUMAR, SAYING: "We got a message last evening to shutdown the fuel station. So, today from 7 am (0130 GMT) to 9 pm (1530 GMT) the fuel station is closed." THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA (MARCH 22, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) DESERTED ROAD/PALAYAM MOSQUE IN THIRUVANANTHAPURAM VARIOUS OF DESERTED ROAD EXTERIOR OF CHURCH VARIOUS OF EMPTY CHURCH DESERTED ROAD
- Keywords: Curfew India Narendra Modi New Delhi Prime Minister coronavirus pandemic virus voluntary curfew
- Reuters ID: LVA001C64UB7Z
- Location: MUMBAI, PUNE, MAHARASHTRA/JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- City: MUMBAI, PUNE, MAHARASHTRA/JAMMU, JAMMU AND KASHMIR/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/ THIRUVANANTHAPURAM, KERALA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:04:54
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: India launched a 14-hour long curfew on Sunday (March 22) to limit the fast-spreading coronavirus epidemic in the country, where 315 people have so far been found to have contracted the disease.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi in an address to the nation last week urged citizens to stay indoors from 0130 GMT to 1530 GMT - a move that he said would be a crucial test for a country to assess its abilities to fight the pandemic.
"Let us all be a part of this curfew, which will add tremendous strength to the fight against the COVID-19 menace," Modi tweeted minutes before the curfew commenced. "The steps we take now will help in the times to come," he said in the tweet.
Cities across India wore a deserted look with an uneasy calm looming in the air as most of the public places like railway stations, bus stations, markets, and places of worship were laid empty.
"This 'Janta' (voluntary) curfew that has been imposed by the federal government in every state is good because in Maharashtra and in Mumbai itself, the cases are increasing very fastly," said a Mumbai resident.
Health experts said India's cases have been growing at a rate seen during the early stages of the outbreak in other countries, which subsequently reported exponential increases in infections.
India's western desert state Rajasthan ordered a shutdown until March 31, while eastern and central states suspended inter-state bus operations to prevent an exodus of daily wage earners from urban centres to villages.
State leaders urged citizens not to rush to villages, avoid crowding trains and buses to prevent the virus spread. Tensions have mounted, however, with angry labourers protesting at some bus stations against sudden closures of basic transport services.
Modi has requested citizens to stand at balconies and near windows on Sunday evening to clap, ring bells to admire the emergency personnel and sanitation workers who are at the frontline in the fight against coronavirus.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Embargoed:5th April 2020 06:15
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None