- Title: Oakland church puts faith in God to get through coronavirus
- Date: 22nd March 2020
- Summary: CHURCH FIRST LADY SHANNON MCCLAIN ON STAGE SAYING: "Clear your minds, and just receive the word from the Lord for a time such as this." MCCLAIN WALKING OFFSTAGE
- Keywords: Oakland Oakland church continues despite coronavirus church church service during coronavirus coronavirus covid-19
- Reuters ID: LVA006C64WE9Z
- Location: OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- City: OAKLAND, CALIFORNIA, UNITED STATES
- Country: USA
- Duration: 00:00:09
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: Despite a statewide shelter-in-place order across California in the face of the deadly coronavirus, Bishop Jamilio McClain of the Rising Star Baptist Church Oakland felt compelled to make sure Sunday (March 22) service would go on.
"I see God as providing a breath of fresh air and encouragement in these times of fear affecting our communities and our world. We need an outlet of faith and an outlet of encouragement. We need an outlet where we can look for joy, where we can look for positivity, so we find through faith and through God, there is hope. And through the word of God, specifically the Bible, over and over again, you see where I gave the example of the children of Israel, they went through several plagues and God has seen them through, so I think the Bible and faith lets us know, as the saying goes, this too shall pass," McClain told Reuters on Sunday after service.
Coronavirus cases in the U.S. have topped 33,000 with more than 400 dead, according to a Reuters tally, prompting seven states to join California in enacting broad lockdowns to combat the spread of coronavirus.
The pandemic has already upended life in much of the country, shuttering schools and businesses, prompting millions to work from home, forcing many out of jobs and sharply curtailing travel.
To best prepare the church and protects its congregants, Jamilio and his wife Shannon purchased hand sanitizer, disinfectant wipes and enacted a social distancing policy for those attending service.
They also went out and purchased a tripod and used an iPhone to stream Sunday's service via Facebook Live. The McClains said about 200 people were watching with a couple dozen listening in on a conference call.
In addition to the McClains, about six others came to service, including a pair of musicians.
(Production: Nathan Frandino, Shannon Stapleton)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th April 2020 22:54
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None