- Title: Serenading cellist brings joy to Panamanians under quarantine
- Date: 22nd March 2020
- Summary: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA (MARCH 20, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF URUGUAYAN CELLIST, KARINA NUNEZ, PLAYING HER CELLO ON HER BALCONY
- Keywords: Karina Nunez Panama Uruguayan cellist cello coronavirus joy lock down music neighbors quarantine
- Reuters ID: LVA001C64U4W7
- Location: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA
- City: PANAMA CITY, PANAMA
- Country: Panama
- Duration: 00:00:37
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Story Text: A normal day for Karina Nunez day would be filled with music. She is the principal cellist at Panama's National Symphony Orchestra and gives classes teaching others how to play the string instrument.
But, with the spread of the coronavirus, the subsequent cancellation of public events and the need to stay indoors, her routine, like that of so many others, crumbled and music became notably absent.
She therefore picked up her cello and began to play from the balcony of her apartment.
But, Nunez, who is originally from Uruguay and has been living in Panama since 2012, isn't playing just to practice, she's hoping to bring a bit of joy to the people of her neighbourhood.
"I saw so much, panic, anxiety and distress in people that I decided to go out and play on the balcony," Nunez said.
"It has a calming, serene effect, it makes us happy, it lets us travel, it takes us out of this situation that we're all submerged in," she added.
The response has been enthusiastic with neighbours applauding and Nunez now live streaming her daily performances on her Instagram and Facebook accounts.
There have been three deaths and 245 confirmed cases of coronavirus in Panama as of Saturday (March 21).
(Production: Erick Marciscano, Rodolfo Pena Roja)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:5th April 2020 13:33
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Audio restrictions: This clip's Audio includes copyrighted material. User is responsible for obtaining additional clearances before publishing the audio contained in this clip.