Peruvians sing happy birthday to their popular president during coronavirus lockdownRecord ID: 1465354
- Title: Peruvians sing happy birthday to their popular president during coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: LIMA, PERU (MARCH 22, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS, PEOPLE SINGING HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO PERUVIAN PRESIDENT MARTIN VIZCARRA VARIOUS, PEOPLE CHEERING FROM THEIR BALCONIES AND WINDOWS
- Keywords: Peru President Martin Vizcarra birthday coronavirus happy popular public quarantine restrictions
- Reuters ID: LVA001C64WNRB
- Location: LIMA, PERU
- City: LIMA, PERU
- Country: Peru
- Duration: 00:00:32
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Story Text: EDITORS NOTE: PART FILMED IN PORTRAIT
Peruvian President Martin Vizcarra probably wishes he didn't have to spend his birthday managing a national emergency, but he could take consolation from the legions of people who sang him happy birthday Sunday (March 22) while under lockdown over the coronavirus.
Singing loudly from their balconies and rooftops in unison at 8:00 p.m. local time (0100 GMT), Lima residents did their best to wish Vizcarra a happy birthday.
Vizcarra is popular among Peruvians with a recent poll showing an 87% approval rate for his government and a 95% approval rate for his decision to impose mandatory social isolation to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
For his part, Vizcarra told Peruvians in a national address Sunday that the best gift he could be given was for everyone to "stay at home."
According to local media, Peru has registered five deaths from the coronavirus and 363 people have been confirmed as infected.
(Production: Carlos Valdez)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 03:05
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None