Postponement of Olympics should be considered says Japan Olympic Committee presidentRecord ID: 1465387
- Title: Postponement of Olympics should be considered says Japan Olympic Committee president
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - MARCH 1, 2020) (REUTERS) OLYMPIC RINGS OUTSIDE NATIONAL STADIUM WHICH WILL HOLD OPENING AND CLOSING CEREMONIES OF TOKYO 2020 OLYMPIC GAMES
- Keywords: Japan The president of Japan Olympic Committee Yasuhiro Yamashita Tokyo 2020 games new coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA002C69TO3R
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Duration: 00:00:04
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Story Text: The head of the Japan Olympic Committee (JOC) said on Monday (March 23) he had to consider postponing the Tokyo 2020 Olympics among his options, amid increasing calls from committees around the world to delay the Games due to the coronavirus outbreak.
"From an athlete's point of view of safety and security, I think we cannot help but to consider postponement. There is still a possibility for it to be held as planned, but I think we have to consider various options," JOC President Yasuhiro Yamashita told reporters on Monday.
However, he said too long a delay would be a burden to athletes given the possibility of having to qualify again, for example.
Major sporting nations Australia and Canada quit the Tokyo 2020 Olympics on Monday as organisers faced global pressure to postpone the Games for the first time in their 124-year modern history.
Putting back the July 24-Aug. 9 event, as is looking inevitable, would be a massive blow for host Japan which has pumped in more than $12 billion of investment in the run-up.
(Production: Akira Tomoshige, Akiko Okamoto, Hideto Sakai, Joseph Campbell, Travis Teo)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 12:31
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.