- Title: Health workers hard hit as Spain's coronavirus cases rise
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 23, 2020) REUTERS) HEALTH STAFF PLACING OXYGEN CANISTER ON STRETCHER OUTSIDE LA PAZ HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF EMERGENCY UNIT HEALTH STAFF WEARING PROTECTIVE SUIT AND MASK HANDLING OXYGEN CANISTER HEALTH STAFF WEARING MASK WALKING OUT FROM HOSPITAL HEALTH STAFF TAKING OUT FROM AMBULANCE PATIENT ON STRETCHER WEARING MASK AMBULANCE, EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL AND TENT BEING BUILT OUTSIDE BUILDING MAN WEARING MASK LEAVING HOSPITAL PEOPLE WEARING MASKS OUTSIDE HOSPITAL WOMAN COMING OUT OF CAR AND KISSING MAN, BOTH WEARING MASKS DOCTOR WEARING MASK WALKING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL AMBULANCE ARRIVING DOCTORS WORKING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL POLICE VAN, TROLLEY CAR DRIVING PAST EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL / TENT OUTSIDE BUILDING VARIOUS OF MEN WORKING ON TENT CONSTRUCTION HEALTH STAFF WALKING EXTERIOR OF HOSPITAL MAN WEARING MASK STANDING OUTSIDE HOSPITAL BUILDING SIGN READING "UNIVERSITY HOSPITAL OF LA PAZ" SPANISH AND MADRID REGION FLAGS WAVING VARIOUS OF HEALTH STAFF OUTSIDE BUILDING VARIOUS OF EXTERIORS OF HOSPITAL VARIOUS OF MADRID'S PASEO DE LA CASTELLANA BOULEVARD WITH FEW CARS EMPTY BUS STOP WITH CORONAVIRUS HEALTH SIGNS CORONAVIRUS SIGN, CLOSED MARKET STALLS CARS DRIVING BY PASEO DE LA CASTELLANA EMPTY BOULEVARD CARS DRIVING
- Keywords: Hospital La Paz Madrid coronavirus epidemic coronavirus in Spain health staff
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69W5DZ
- Location: MADRID, SPAIN
- City: MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:03:35
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:There are nearly 4,000 health workers infected with the coronavirus in Spain, more than one in ten of total confirmed cases, officials said on Monday (March 23) as the virus toll rose in Europe's second-worst affected country.
Workers were seen building a tent outside Hospital La Paz in Madrid as authorities and companies are scrambling to manufacture, buy and distribute more facilities to treat the virus.
Like in other countries hit hard by the virus, nurses, doctors and other health workers have said they are not getting enough protective kits.
The number of cases registered in Spain rose to 33,089 up from 28,572 cases on Sunday (March 22). This means health workers account for nearly 12% of the total.
The coronavirus death toll has reached 2,182, adding 462 fatalities overnight, the Health Ministry said. Simon said 87% of those who had died were aged 70 or older.
(Production: Raul Cadenas, Julien Hennequin)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 14:05
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None