- Title: Delhi and Kashmir lockdown, Modi tweets 'save yourself' from coronavirus
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: BARAMULLA, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) SECURITY PERSONNEL STANDING, AS TRACTOR CARRYING DISINFECTANT MOVES ON ROAD VARIOUS OF SECURITY PERSON SPRAYING DISINFECTANT ON SHUTTERS OF CLOSED SHOPS JAMMU AND KASHMIR POLICE (WEARING BROWN UNIFORM) AND INDIA'S ARMED FORCES, CENTRAL RESERVE POLICE FORCE (CRPF) PERSONNEL STANDING WEARING MASKS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) CRPF COMMANDANT, VINAY KUMAR TIWARI, SAYING: "In all the lanes that are public places, we are disinfecting the bus stands, taxi stands, hospitals, banks, post offices, and the bus stops. We are distributing masks and sanitisers to the public and making them aware (about coronavirus)." DISINFECTANT BEING SPRAYED IN STREET NEW DELHI, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) DESERTED NEW DELHI RAILWAY STATION DIGITAL BOARD SHOWING INFORMATION ABOUT CANCELLED TRAINS DESERTED RAILWAY STATION DESERTED TICKET WINDOWS VARIOUS OF PARKED TRAINS DESERTED EXTERIOR OF OLD DELHI RAILWAY STATION VARIOUS OF PARKED TAXIS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) TAXI DRIVER, MOHAMMAD IMAM-UL, SAYING: "Ever since the government announced the lockdown and that taxis and autos will not run, that we must run out coronavirus, we are supporting everything in that area." DESERTED BUS TERMINAL SIGNBOARD READING (Hindi and English): "MAHARANA PRATAP INTER STATE BUS TERMINAL, KASHMERE GATE, DELHI" MORE OF DESERTED BUS TERMINAL VARIOUS OF BARRICADES PLACED ON ROAD OUTSIDE BUS TERMINAL AS A POLICEMAN SITS MEN WEARING MASKS WALKING AS PASSENGERS WAIT AT A BUS STOP SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi): "GURUGRAM, JANAKPURI" PASSENGERS, SOME WITH MASKS ON, WAITING AT BUS STOP/PASSENGERS WALKING POLICE OFFICIALS MAKING ANNOUNCEMENTS PASSENGERS WAITING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PASSENGER, KRISHNA KUMAR, SAYING: "I have been waiting here for two hours but there is no bus. I wanted to go to Narnaul. I don't have any hopes that any bus will come." BARRICADES PLACED ON ROAD OUTSIDE METRO STATION CLOSED METRO STATION SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi): "NO ENTRY NEW DELHI METRO STATION GATE NO.1" CLOSED GATE OF METRO STATION WORKERS SPRAYING DISINFECTANT
- Keywords: Delhi India Kashmir Modi Narendra Modi coronavirus epidemic lockdown pandemic virus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69WE2V
- Location: BARAMULLA, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, NEW DELHI, INDIA/ INTERNET
- City: BARAMULLA, JAMMU AND KASHMIR, NEW DELHI, INDIA/ INTERNET
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:03:13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Streets were deserted in the Indian capital on Monday (March 23) and office buildings shuttered as a lockdown to halt the spread of the coronavirus began and Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged people to stay at home and save themselves.
India has reported 415 cases of the coronavirus and seven deaths but health experts have warned that a big jump could be imminent, which would overwhelm the underfunded and crumbling public health infrastructure.
In India's Himalayan territory of Jammu and Kashmir's Baramulla district security personnel carried out disinfection of streets, shops and public places including, bus stands, taxi stands, hospitals, banks, and post offices.
Modi said many Indians were not taking the lockdown seriously.
"Please save yourself, save your family, follow the instructions seriously," he said on Twitter.
The lockdown in the capital of more than 18 million people will last for the rest of the month.
Authorities banned gatherings of more than five people in several of India's states including Maharashtra in the west, which has had the highest number of cases. They warned of legal action against people violating the ban.
In the financial hub of Mumbai, the state capital, suburban trains, which usually carry 8 million people a day, were suspended until the end of the month. Bus services were limited to people in essential services such as healthcare.
Globally, cases exceed 325,000 with deaths topping 14,000.
(Production: ANI, Vanessa Romeo, Pete Brownlie)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 11:56
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None