- Title: Hong Kong to ban all tourist arrivals, weighs halt of alcohol in bars
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: HONG KONG, CHINA (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) HONG KONG CHIEF EXECUTIVE CARRIE LAM ENTERING NEWS CONFERENCE (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) HONG KONG CHIEF EXECUTIVE, CARRIE LAM, SAYING: "First, we are going to further prevent imported cases. We will try to stop the transmission chain in Hong Kong coming from overseas. Here we have four measures starting from Wednesday, March 25 at midnight and they will last for 14 days. MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) HONG KONG CHIEF EXECUTIVE, CARRIE LAM, SAYING: "Firstly, for all non-Hong Kong residents arriving in Hong Kong from other places by plane, they will not be allowed entry. And for all non-Hong Kong residents who come from mainland China, Macau, Taiwan, if they have been to overseas within the past 14 days upon arrival, they will be denied entry. Thirdly, the Hong Kong International Airport will stop all transit services. '' NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) HONG KONG CHIEF EXECUTIVE, CARRIE LAM, SAYING: "These front line staff members have been fighting the epidemic for over two months with perseverance. If those individuals who deliberately breach home quarantine in order just to play basketball or maybe have a bowl of noodles, this will lead to further community outbreak. How can you live with your conscience?'' NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) HONG KONG CHIEF EXECUTIVE, CARRIE LAM, SAYING: "And for those who insist on breaching the home quarantine policy and going out to continue with their social activities, please give it a second thought. Can you be patient for some time and give Hong Kong time to win this battle?'' MEDIA (SOUNDBITE) (Cantonese) HONG KONG CHIEF EXECUTIVE, CARRIE LAM, SAYING: "So, we are going to suggest, as it requires legislative work, around 8,600 restaurants, bars and clubs with liquor licenses to temporarily suspend the sale of alcohol by amending the law." NEWS CONFERENCE IN PROGRESS
- Keywords: COVID-19 Carrie Lam China Hong Kong ban coronavirus government measures new conference outbreak pandemic tourists
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69T9VR
- Location: HONG KONG, CHINA
- City: HONG KONG, CHINA
- Country: China
- Duration: 00:02:53
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Hong Kong said on Monday (March 23) it was stopping all tourist arrivals and transit passengers at its airport and was considering suspending the sale of alcohol in some venues, joining cities around the world in the battle to halt the coronavirus.
Announcing tough new travel restrictions, Hong Kong leader Carrie Lam said the government was planning to curb the sale of alcohol at more than 8,000 bars and restaurants, an extraordinary move in a city that never sleeps.
Lam made an emotional plea to members of the public undergoing quarantine, asking them to stay indoors and not breach quarantine "just to play basketball or maybe have a bowl of noodles, this will lead to further community outbreak."
The city government announced 39 new cases of coronavirus on Monday, 30 of which had a recent travel history, bringing its total to 357. Four people have died of the disease in Hong Kong.
(Production: Joyce Zhou)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 11:40
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None