McDonald's to temporarily close all UK, Ireland restaurants amid coronavirus outbreakRecord ID: 1465432
- Title: McDonald's to temporarily close all UK, Ireland restaurants amid coronavirus outbreak
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) LEICESTER SQUARE WITH MCDONALD'S AND BAR MCDONALD'S SIGN MCDONALD'S SIGN/ CUSTOMER ENTERING MCDONALD'S GOLDEN ARCH CUSTOMERS ENTERING IN AND EXITING SIGN READING (English) 'WE'RE OPEN FOR TAKEAWAY ORDERS ONLY CUSTOMER INSIDE MCDONALD'S EXTERIOR OF MCDONALD'S
- Keywords: Coronavirus McDonald's fast-food restaurants
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69VOSN
- Location: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- City: LONDON, ENGLAND, UNITED KINGDOM
- Country: United Kingdom
- Duration: 00:01:02
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:McDonald's Corp said on Sunday (March 22) it would temporarily close all its restaurants in the UK and Ireland by Monday (March 23) evening because of the coronavirus outbreak.
"We have taken the difficult decision to close all McDonald's restaurants in UK and Ireland by 7pm on Monday 23rd March at the latest," the company said in a tweet.
Restaurants have been forced to shut doors or limit service to delivery and takeaway in many parts of the world in efforts to curb the spread of the highly contagious coronavirus.
In China, the epicentre of the virus, McDonald's has reopened 95 percent of its restaurants, Chief Executive Officer Chris Kempczinski said on Friday (March 20).
Separately, the fast-food chain has suspended share buybacks to help it navigate through the crisis, but has not changed its dividend policy.
(Production: Gerry Mey, Jonathan Shenfield)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 09:04
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None