- Title: Asia stocks crumble as virus lockdowns spread
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF TOKYO STOCK EXCHANGE SCREEN SHOWING ANIMATION BEFORE OPENING / NIKKEI 225 INDEX AT OPENING AT 16,570,57 VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING NIKKEI 225 INDEX MOVEMENTS SCREEN SHOWING VARIOUS STOCK PRICES ELECTRIC TICKER SHOWING STOCK PRICES MEDIA FILMING NIKKEI 225 INDEX VARIOUS OF STAFF WORKING AT DESK HONG KONG, CHINA (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) HONG KONG CENTRAL BUSINESS DISTRICT CHINESE, HONG KONG AND HONG KONG STOCK EXCHANGE FLAGS FLYING VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF HONG KONG EXCHANGE SQUARE/ SCREENS SHOWING STOCK PRICES VARIOUS OF SCREEN SHOWING HANG SENG INDEX AND OTHER STOCK PRICE SCREEN SHOWING HANG SENG INDEX OPENING AT 21659.55 POINTS SCREEN SHOWING HANG SENG INDEX VARIOUS OF STAFFS WORKING SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF TRAFFIC ON SEOUL STREET / PEOPLE CROSSING ROAD INTERIOR OF DEALING ROOM AT KEB HANA BANK ELECTRONIC BOARD SHOWING KOREA COMPOSITE STOCK PRICE INDEX (KOSPI) VARIOUS OF DEALERS WORKING ELECTRONIC BOARDS SHOWING KOSPI AND USD/KRW EXCHANGE RATE DEALERS WORKING
- Keywords: Asia Hang Seng Index Japan KOSPI Nikkei 225 South Korea Tokyo Stock Exchange open stock market
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69T6PZ
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN / SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA / HONG KONG, CHINA
- Duration: 00:03:02
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Economic Events
- Story Text: Asian shares sank on Monday (March 23) as a rising tide of national lockdowns threatened to overwhelm policymakers' frantic efforts to cushion what is likely to be a deep global recession.
In South Korea, stocks opened lower with the Korea Composite Stock Price Index up 85.58 points or 5.46 percent to 1,480.57 points as of 0013 GMT, though Japan's Nikkei rose 0.8% aided perhaps by expectations of more aggressive asset buying by the Bank of Japan.
Hong Kong stock market opened low with benchmark Hang Seng Index down 5.02 percent to 21659.55 points.
Global stock exchanges are changing trading rules to protect their markets from intense volatility and speculative trading as the coronavirus pandemic hammers equities and threatens the world economy.
(Production: Daewoung Kim, Hyunyoung Yi, Joyce Zhou, Akira Tomoshige, Hideto Sakai)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 03:34
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None