- Title: PM Modi tells Indians to save themselves from coronavirus as Delhi locks down
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) DESERTED NEW DELHI RAILWAY STATION DIGITAL BOARD SHOWING INFORMATION ABOUT CANCELLED TRAINS DESERTED RAILWAY STATION DESERTED TICKET WINDOWS VARIOUS OF PARKED TRAINS DESERTED EXTERIOR OF OLD DELHI RAILWAY STATION SIGNBOARD READING (English, Hindi and Urdu): "DELHI" VARIOUS OF DESERTED RAILWAY STATION INFORMATION BOARD VARIOUS OF PARKED TAXIS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) TAXI DRIVER, MOHAMMAD IMAM-UL, SAYING: "Since the lockdown was announced by the government that taxi and autos would not ply to prevent the spread of coronavirus so that is why we are also supporting it." DESERTED BUS TERMINAL SIGNBOARD READING (Hindi and English): "MAHARANA PRATAP INTER STATE BUS TERMINAL, KASHMERE GATE, DELHI" MORE OF DESERTED BUS TERMINAL VARIOUS OF BARRICADES PLACED ON ROAD OUTSIDE BUS TERMINAL AS A POLICEMAN SITS MEN WEARING MASKS WALKING AS PASSENGERS WAIT AT A BUS STOP SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi): "GURUGRAM, JANAKPURI" PASSENGERS, SOME WITH MASKS ON, WAITING AT BUS STOP/PASSENGERS WALKING POLICE OFFICIALS MAKING ANNOUNCEMENTS PASSENGERSWAITING (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PASSENGER, KRISHNA KUMAR, SAYING: "I have been waiting here for two hours but there is no bus. I wanted to go to Narnaul. I don't have any hopes that any bus would come." BARRICADES PLACED ON ROAD OUTSIDE A METRO STATION CLOSED METRO STATION SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi): "NO ENTRY NEW DELHI METRO STATION GATE NO.1" CLOSED GATE OF METRO STATION DESERTED METRO STATION SIGNBOARD READING (English): "DMRC YELLOW LINE/AIRPORT METRO LINE" CLOSED METRO STATON FEW PEOPLE STANDING OUTSIDE METRO STATION SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi) : "25 YEARS NEW DELHI" WORKERS SPRAYING DISINFECTANT
- Keywords: India Narendra Modi New Delhi coronavirus disease health lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA002C69URM7
- Location: NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- City: NEW DELHI, INDIA/INTERNET
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:03:07
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Streets were deserted in the Indian capital on Monday (March 23) and office buildings shuttered as a lockdown to halt the spread of the coronavirus began and Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged people to stay at home and save themselves.
India has reported 415 cases of the coronavirus and seven deaths but health experts have warned that a big jump could be imminent, which would overwhelm the underfunded and crumbling public health infrastructure.
Modi said many Indians were not taking the lockdown seriously.
"Please save yourself, save your family, follow the instructions seriously," he said on Twitter.
The lockdown in the capital of more than 18 million people will last for the rest of the month.
Railway stations and metro stations wore a deserted look as the services were suspended to contain the virus. Passengers at bus stops had to wait for several hours as there was low frequency of the buses.
Authorities banned gatherings of more than five people in several of India's states including Maharashtra in the west, which has had the highest number of cases. They warned of legal action against people violating the ban.
Globally, cases exceed 325,000 with deaths topping 14,000.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 10:28
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None