- Title: Japan PM Abe says postponing Tokyo Olympics may become an option
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: TOKYO, JAPAN (FILE - MARCH 1, 2020) (REUTERS) OLYMPIC RINGS OUTSIDE NATIONAL STADIUM WHICH WILL HOLD OPENING AND CLOSING CEREMONIES OF TOKYO 2020 OLYMPIC GAMES
- Keywords: Japan Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe Tokyo 2020 Olympics and Paralympics new coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA002C69T7IF
- Location: TOKYO, JAPAN
- City: TOKYO, JAPAN
- Country: Japan
- Duration: 00:00:06
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Olympics,Sport
- Story Text: Japan's Prime Minister Shinzo Abe said on Monday (March 23) that postponing the Tokyo Olympic Games may become an option if holding the event in its "complete form" became impossible.
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) said on Sunday (March 22) after an emergency meeting that it is stepping up its "scenario planning" for the Tokyo 2020 Games - including a possible postponement - as the coronavirus pandemic spreads.
Abe said the IOC decision on Sunday was in line with the view that the Tokyo Games should be held in its complete form. "If that becomes difficult, we may have no option but to consider postponing the Games" given the Olympics' principle of putting the health of athletes first, he told parliament.
Abe also said cancelling the Games was not an option.
(Production: Hideto Sakai)
- Copyright Holder: FILE REUTERS (CAN SELL)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 02:11
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: Olympic restriction: Clip cannot be re-published without additional clearances from the IOC.