New Delhi and scores of Indian districts under lockdown to curb coronavirus spreadRecord ID: 1465449
- Title: New Delhi and scores of Indian districts under lockdown to curb coronavirus spread
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF DESERTED INDIA GATE WAR MEMORIAL WITH BARRICADES ON ROAD VARIOUS OF DESERTED NORTH AND SOUTH BLOCK OF INDIA'S SECRETARIAT BUILDING BARRICADES ON ROAD NEAR NORTH AND SOUTH BLOCK VARIOUS OF DESERTED ROADS IN CONNAUGHT PLACE AREA CLOSED SHUTTERS OF SHOPS LOCK ON SHOPS NOTICE ON SHUTTER OF A SHOP FEW PEOPLE WALKING ON STREET WITH CLOSED SHOPS COVERED HAWKER CARTS PEOPLE, SOME WEARING MASKS, WALKING/CLOSED SHOPS POLICEMAN WEARING MASK STANDING NEAR BARRICADE AS VEHICLES PASS AND PEOPLE WALK VEHICLES PLYING VARIOUS OF POLICE TALKING TO COMMUTERS/BARRICADES ON ROAD VEHICLES WAITING SIGNBOARD READING (English): 'WELCOME TO NOIDA' TRAFFIC POLICE STANDING NEAR BARRICADES CUSTOMERS AT DIARY SHOP MILK BEING FILLED IN CONTAINER CUSTOMERS AT DIARY SHOP (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) NEW DELHI RESIDENT, SAYING: "The Delhi government has locked down (the city) but the necessities are available but we are facing few problems but it is important for our safety that we step out as less as possible." AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) CLOSED SHOPS ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD CLOSED SHUTTER OF SHOPS LOCKS ON CLOSED SHUTTERS OF SHOPS PEOPLE WALKING AND VEHICLES PLYING FEW PEOPLE IN MARKET AREA VEGETABLE STALL VEGETABLES CUSTOMER PICKING VEGETABLES (SOUNDBITE) (Approximate Punjabi translation) VENDOR, GURDEV SINGH, SAYING: "This is a good step by the government that the vegetables, grocery, milk, and chemist shops are open that is why we have also kept our shop open." MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) POLICE AND OTHERS OUTSIDE CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS RAILWAY STATION SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi): 'CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS' POLICEMEN STANDING VARIOUS OF CLOSED GATES OF CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS LARGELY DESERTED AREA OUTSIDE CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS VEHICLES AT TRAFFIC SIGNAL
- Keywords: India New Delhi closed shops coronavirus disease health lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69UP8V
- Location: NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:03:21
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:New Delhi wore a deserted look on Monday (March 23) as the city was put under lockdown until March 31 to keep citizens indoors to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The order to shut down the capital came hours after hundreds of millions of Indians heeded Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi's appeal for people to self-isolate for a day, which was dubbed as 'Janta' (voluntary) curfew.
The city's borders with neighboring states will be sealed and public transport will be suspended the city's chief minister, Arvind Kejriwal had said on Sunday (March 22).
India Gate War Memorial and Connaught Place area, which are usually bustling and heavily crowded, were deserted as shops were shut and people choose to remain indoors as the city was under lockdown. However, people were seen coming out for buying necessities like milk, vegetables and grocery.
India has registered over 400 cases of coronavirus, with seven deaths. Experts have said the number of cases mirror rates during the early stages of the outbreak in other countries, which then went on to see very rapid growth.
While Sunday's curfew was voluntary and not an outright ban on movement, it was followed by series of announcements by states to continue the lockdown till the end of March.
Indian Railways, which carries more than 25 million commuters a day, canceled all passenger train services until March 31.
Medical experts say a lack of testing facilities could be hiding the true extent of cases in India, which has a population of more than 1.3 billion people.
Testing has been expanded to private laboratories and will now include asymptomatic people who have had contact with confirmed cases.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 06:55
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None