- Title: Delhi locks down as PM Modi tells Indians to save themselves from coronavirus
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF DESERTED INDIA GATE WAR MEMORIAL WITH BARRICADES ON ROAD VARIOUS OF DESERTED NORTH AND SOUTH BLOCK OF INDIA'S SECRETARIAT BUILDING BARRICADES ON ROAD NEAR NORTH AND SOUTH BLOCK VARIOUS OF DESERTED ROADS IN CONNAUGHT PLACE AREA SHUTTERED SHOPS PADLOCK ON SHOP SHUTTER NOTICE ON SHUTTER OF A SHOP SAYING SHOP IS CLOSED DUE TO COVID-19 ONE PERSON WALKING ON STREET WITH CLOSED SHOPS COVERED HAWKER CARTS PEOPLE, SOME WEARING MASKS, WALKING/CLOSED SHOPS POLICE OFFICER WEARING MASK STANDING NEAR BARRICADE AS VEHICLES PASS AND PEOPLE WALK BY VEHICLES DRIVING TOWARDS BARRICADES VARIOUS OF POLICE TALKING TO COMMUTERS/BARRICADES ON ROAD VEHICLES WAITING SIGNBOARD READING (English): 'WELCOME TO NOIDA' TRAFFIC POLICE STANDING NEAR BARRICADES CUSTOMERS AT DAIRY SHOP MILK BEING FILLED IN CONTAINER CUSTOMERS AT DAIRY SHOP (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) UNIDENTIFIED NEW DELHI RESIDENT, SAYING: "The Delhi government has locked down (the city) but the necessities are available but we are facing few problems but it is important for our safety that we go out as little as possible." AMRITSAR, PUNJAB, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) CLOSED SHOPS ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD CLOSED SHUTTERS OF SHOPS PADLOCKS ON CLOSED SHUTTERS OF SHOPS PEOPLE WALKING AND VEHICLES DRIVING ALONG STREET FEW PEOPLE IN MARKET AREA VEGETABLE STALL VEGETABLES CUSTOMER BUYING VEGETABLES (SOUNDBITE) (Approximate Punjabi translation) VENDOR, GURDEV SINGH, SAYING: "This is a good step by the government that the vegetables, grocery, milk, and chemist shops are open that is why we have also kept our shop open." MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (MARCH 23, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) POLICE AND OTHERS OUTSIDE CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS RAILWAY STATION SIGNBOARD READING (English and Hindi): 'CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS' POLICE OFFICERS STANDING NEAR ENTRY VARIOUS OF CLOSED GATES OF CHHATRAPATI SHIVAJI MAHARAJ TERMINUS
- Keywords: COVID-19 Delhi India Narendra Modi PM Modi coronavirus lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69TSUF
- Location: NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- City: NEW DELHI/AMRITSAR, PUNJAB/MUMBAI, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:03:06
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Streets were deserted in the Indian capital on Monday (March 23) and office buildings shuttered as a lockdown to halt the spread of the coronavirus began and Prime Minister Narendra Modi urged people to stay at home and save themselves.
India has reported 415 cases of the coronavirus and seven deaths but health experts have warned that a big jump could be imminent, which would overwhelm the underfunded and crumbling public health infrastructure.
Authorities banned gatherings of more than five people in several of India's states including Maharashtra in the west, which has had the highest number of cases. They warned of legal action against people violating the ban.
In the financial hub of Mumbai, the state capital, suburban trains, which usually carry 8 million people a day, were suspended until the end of the month.
Bus services were limited to people in essential services such as healthcare. Some shops and stalls selling fresh vegetables and dairy products were open to allow people to purchase essential items.
(Production: Peter Brownlie, Lucy Marks)
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 10:21
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None