- Title: Ukrainian nightclub keeps party going online after coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) KHARKIV DJ, OLGA UDOVENKO, SAYING: "Up to 80 people watched previous stream simultaneously. But the total reach was up to 2,000 people. Maximum 300 people attend our regular parties and it is rather crowded here on the dancing floor. But last time almost 2,000 attended our party online and it is a huge difference. We usually announce parties one or two months ahead while here we prepared everything within a day, within several hours and it is certainly cool."
- Keywords: Kharkiv Ukraine coronavirus lockdown electronic music nightclub online parties
- Reuters ID: LVA004C69VWOP
- Location: KHARKIV, UKRAINE
- City: KHARKIV, UKRAINE
- Country: Ukraine
- Duration: 00:00:32
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Ukrainian DJ Olga Udovenko experienced a new coronavirus reality when she played music on Saturday (March 21) night in an empty nightclub in her hometown Kharkiv.
City's famous nightclub known under the name "Culture of Sound", where Olga is a permanent resident, came up with an idea to organise online parties which people can join remotely without leaving their houses and breaking quarantine.
It was already a second party online since Ukraine went under lockdown on March 17.
Olga, who plays a mix of different styles, said an experiment proved to be successful as some 2,000 people from all over Ukraine as well as United States, Italy and France joined the first party while offline parties usually attract no more than 300 people per night.
Saturday online party, which started at 1900GMT, turned into a music marathon and lasted for symbolical 36,6 hours - a number which corresponds to a temperature of a healthy person.
Eduard Stolyarov and his close friends danced to Olga's sets as video signal from the party was broadcasted on the wall in Eduard's living room via video projector.
Eduard said he felt as if DJs were playing in his house.
Ukraine reported seven coronavirus cases, including three lethal.
(Production: Vitaliy Hnidyy, Margaryta Chornokondratenko)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 17:28
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None