- Title: Brazil stadium turns into hospital for coronavirus as confirmed cases near 2000
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: SAO PAULO, BRAZIL (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF STRUCTURE BEING ASSEMBLED AT STADIUM FOR THE CONSTRUCTION OF A CORONAVIRUS FIELD HOSPITAL BRAZIL FLAG VARIOUS OF CONSTRUCTION
- Keywords: Brazil President Jair Bolsonaro Rio de Janeiro Sao Paulo coronavirus pandemic stadium
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69YIPZ
- Location: BRASILIA + SAO PAULO + RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- City: BRASILIA + SAO PAULO + RIO DE JANEIRO, BRAZIL
- Country: Brazil
- Duration: 00:00:44
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: States in Brazil have stepped up measures to contain the spread of coronavirus in Latin America's biggest economy, despite warnings from President Jair Bolsonaro of pandemic fears throwing the economy off track.
A poll showed Bolsonaro losing the battle of public opinion as he attacks state governors for shutting down stores to slow the spread of the virus, which has tripled in four days to 1,891 confirmed cases, according to the Health Ministry. Deaths rose to 34 from 25 a day earlier.
In Sao Paulo, the Pacaembu stadium is being transformed to become a field hospital to treat coronavirus cases.
Several Brazilian states have begun closing shopping malls and schools, and banning public meetings, soccer matches and religious assemblies. Sao Paulo, the country's biggest city, is slated to begin a lockdown on Tuesday (March 24).
In the tourist hotspot of Rio de Janeiro, officials in protective suits disinfected public areas. In the capital Brasilia, soldiers have been deployed to disinfect public spaces in a drive against coronavirus.
(Production: Pablo Garcia, Sergio Queiroz, Douglas Engle, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 23:29
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None