- Title: Iraq tightens coronavirus curfew
- Date: 23rd March 2020
- Summary: BAGHDAD, IRAQ (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) SECURITY FORCES ON STREET /POLICE VEHICLE STOPPING ON ROAD SECURITY FORCES STOPPING CAR SECURITY FORCES VEHICLES PATROLLING STREETS SECURITY OFFICER WITH MASK WALKING SECURITY FORCES STOPPING CAR AND CHECKING DRIVER'S DOCUMENTS CAR DRIVING AS POLICE STOPPING ANOTHER CARS DRIVING VARIOUS OF SECURITY FORCES /POLICE VEHICLE ON ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT WEARING FACE MASK, ISSA, SAYING: "The government offices and schools are closed for the protection of citizens. Some of the locals are themselves self-quarantining in some districts without government intervention. There are some people abiding by the curfew, while others are not committed. We see a district abide by curfew while another is not committed. I suggest that the government isolate each district from another." AMBULANCE DRIVING SECURITY FORCES STOPPING CAR AND CHECKING DRIVER'S DOCUMENTS VARIOUS OF CLOSED SHOPS IN EMPTY STREETS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) RESIDENT, HUSSEIN ALI, SAYING: "The citizen should abide by the curfew as far as possible. The citizen should do that for the sake of himself and his government. The locals should abide by the orders of the Ministry of Health and the crisis committee. God willing, I hope that this period will pass safely. I see people are committed to the curfew better than in the past days." VARIOUS OF EMPTY STREETS
- Keywords: Coronavirus Iraq extends curfew on travellers into Baghdad
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69WCHZ
- Location: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- City: BAGHDAD, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:02:26
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Iraq's government has extended a curfew on travel in and out of Baghdad until March 28 as part of strict measures to prevent the coronavirus from spreading.
The measure was announced on Sunday (March 22) and security forces were enforcing it on the streets of the capital on Monday (March 23).
It said it had also decided to extend a ban on all inbound and outbound flights from the country's airports until March 28.
Under the curfew imposed on March 17 no persons can travel into or out of Baghdad.
At least 230 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed so far in Iraq, the Health Ministry said on Sunday, and 20 people have died.
(Production: Maher Nazeh/Mohammed Katfan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:6th April 2020 13:58
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None