- Title: Tractor in Spain joins disinfection efforts as coronavirus toll mounts
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: MADRID, SPAIN (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) TOP VIEW OF DESERTED COLON SQUARE SPANISH NATIONAL FLAG TOP VIEW OF DESERTED COLON SQUARE VARIOUS OF COLON STATUE ON OBELISK HARD ROCK CAFE EMPTY MADRID BOULEVARD EMPTY STATUES ON MONUMENT WOMAN WEARING MASK STANDING AT BUS STOP WOMAN WEARING MASK WALKING WOMAN WEARING MASK WAITING FOR BUS AT BUS STOP / BUS ARRIVING BUS DRIVING PASSED BUS STOP VARIOUS OF TRAIN STATION, NEARLY EMPTY VARIOUS OF EMPTY STREETS IN MADRID VARIOUS OF POLICE OFFICER GIVING SHEET TO MAN WALKING HIS DOG VARIOUS OF SPANISH FLAG READING (Spanish): "THANK YOU" VARIOUS OF STATUE AND VIEWS OF MADRID VIEW OF MADRID
- Keywords: Galicia Madrid streets coronavirus in Spain disinfection tractor
- Reuters ID: LVA002C6EWG93
- Location: GINZIO DE LIMA & MADRID, SPAIN
- City: GINZIO DE LIMA & MADRID, SPAIN
- Country: Spain
- Duration: 00:03:20
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Tractors joined disinfection efforts on the streets of Ginzo de Limia on Monday (March 23) in Spain's northwest region of Galicia as members of the Military Emergency Unit (UME) teach farmers how to transform their tractors into disinfectant machines to help combat the spread of coronavirus.
Madrid's city centre and famous landmarks were deserted on Tuesday (March 24) as police carried out controls even to pedestrians walking their dogs across the city.
Spain reported its sharpest daily increase in coronavirus cases on Tuesday with infections rising among health workers, while funeral vans began arriving at Madrid's ice rink, hastily transformed into a makeshift morgue.
The Health Ministry reported around 6,600 new cases and 500 deaths overnight. With nearly 40,000 cases and 2,696 deaths, Spain is Europe's worst-hit country after Italy.
(Production: Marco Trujillo, Miguel Gutierrez, May Ponzo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 17:15
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None