- Title: Curfew descends on Dakar to stem coronavirus
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: DAKAR, SENEGAL (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF EMPTY STREET IN FRONT OF PRESIDENTIAL PALACE MAN STANDING AT WINDOW MAN WALKING IN EMPTY ALLEY POLICE OFFICERS STOPPING MOTORCYCLE EMPTY STREET VARIOUS OF POLICE ARMOURED VEHICLE STATIONED NEXT TO ROUNDABOUT POLICE OFFICERS CHATTING POLICE OFFICER STANDING IN FRONT OF ARMOURED VEHICLE POLICE OFFICER STANDING IN THE MIDDLE OF STREET LETTING CAR PASS SENEGALESE FLAGS ON FENCE NEXT TO EMPTY CORNICHE ROAD EMPTY FOOTBALL PITCH USUALLY CROWDED AT THIS TIME OF THE EVENING CAR PASSING THROUGH ROUNDABOUT VARIOUS OF EMPTY 24 HOUR GAS STATION
- Keywords: Macky Sall Senegal coronavirus curfew police
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EY893
- Location: DAKAR, SENEGAL
- City: DAKAR, SENEGAL
- Country: Senegal
- Duration: 00:01:35
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Dakar came to a standstill when the 8 p.m. curfew descended on the Senegalese capital on Tuesday (March 24) to stem the spread of coronavirus after president Macky Sall declared a state of emergency a day earlier.
Coronavirus cases were slow to arrive in Africa, but the virus is spreading quickly, having infected more than 1,700 people across 45 countries and challenging already strained and under-funded health systems.
Senegal has so far registered registered 86 cases in total.
Last week, Senegal suspended international commercial flights and yesterday Sall ordered an 8 p.m. to 6 a.m curfew and said administrative officials would be empowered to ban public gatherings, close public spaces and limit transport between different regions.
(Production: Christophe Van Der Perre)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:8th April 2020 00:26
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None