- Title: Basra civil defence joins forces to combat spread of coronavirus
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: BASRA, IRAQ (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF FIRE BRIGADES PATROLLING STREETS / CALLING ON PEOPLE NOT TO GATHER IN STREETS, RESPECT CURFEW, WASH HANDS MICROPHONES ON TOP OF BUILDING WITH VOICE OF CIVIL DEFENCE PERSONNEL HEARD READING OUT INSTRUCTIONS BASRA CIVIL DEFENCE OFFICER READING OUT INSTRUCTIONS AND SAYING (Arabic): "YOUR COMMITMENT TO THE RECOMMENDATIONS AND INSTRUCTIONS OF CIVIL DEFENCE IS AN EVIDENCE OF YOUR AWARENESS AND LOVE FOR YOUR COUNTRY'' CIVIL DEFENCE OFFICER GIVING INSTRUCTIONS VARIOUS OF FORCES ON TOP OF FIRE BRIGADES SPRAYING DISINFECTANTS ON BUILDINGS AND STREETS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DIRECTOR OF BASRA CIVIL DEFENCE, BRIGADIER TAHSEEN ALI, SAYING: "The sirens are stationed in the city centre to relay instructions to residents quickly. The timing of transmitting such directives was during quiet hours at 2 p.m. and 8 p.m. so that the locals can listen. Moreover, we use the fire brigades for this purpose in residential areas.'' VARIOUS OF CIVIL DEFENCE STAFF ON TOP OF FIRE ENGINES RELAYING INFORMATION AS THEY PATROL STREETS VARIOUS OF PERSONNEL DISINFECTING HOMES' EXTERIOR AND STREETS (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) DIRECTOR OF BASRA CIVIL DEFENCE, BRIGADIER TAHSEEN ALI, SAYING: "We want to send a message to citizens that going out in the streets and interacting with others will lead to their infection with the virus." VARIOUS OF PERSONNEL DISINFECTING STREETS VARIOUS OF CIVIL DEFENCE PERSONNEL GATHERED AROUND FIRE BRIGADES (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) MEMBER OF CIVIL DEFENCE, COLONEL TALIB HATIM, SAYING: "There are campaigns to disinfect and sanitize residential areas, and today we covered the al-mowafaqiya, al-Gomhorieya and al-asmaay and all areas with clusters of residential blocks." VARIOUS OF PERSONNEL DISINFECTING BUILDINGS AND STREETS
- Keywords: Basra COVID-19 Coronavirus Disinfection Health Iraq
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EWBIT
- Location: BASRA, IRAQ
- City: BASRA, IRAQ
- Country: Iraq
- Duration: 00:03:00
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Society/Social Issues
- Story Text: Fire brigades are patrolling the streets of Iraq's southern city of Basra, not to put out fires, but to spread awareness on the new coronavirus and disinfect buildings and streets.
The initiative was carried out by Basra's Civil Defence on Tuesday (March 24), using megaphones and speakers attached to deliver information and directives to the public.
Iraq's government has extended a curfew on travel in and out of Baghdad until March 28 as part of strict measures to prevent the spread of coronavirus.
The measure was announced on Sunday and security forces were enforcing it on the streets of the capital on Monday.
It said it had also decided to extend a ban on all inbound and outbound flights from the country's airports until March 28.
At least 266 cases of coronavirus have been confirmed so far in Iraq, the Health Ministry said on Sunday, and 23 people have died.
Iraq has already imposed a ban on all public gatherings and called on citizens to avoid visiting sacred cities and sites.
Authorities have also called on Iraqis arriving from Iran, China, South Korea, Italy, Japan, Thailand, Singapore, Kuwait and Bahrain to self-quarantine at home for 14 days.
(Production: Mohammed A'ty, Maher Nazeh, Mohammed Katfan)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 16:18
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None