- Title: Tunisia orders army into streets to enforce coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: TUNIS, TUNISIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) MILITARY ARMOURED VEHICLE PARKED ON STREET / CARS DRIVING IN STREET ARMOURED VEHICLE / MILITARY FORCES STANDING BY ARMED MEMBER OF MILITARY STANDING GUARD VARIOUS OF MILITARY FORCES STANDING BY ARMOURED VEHICLE SOLDIER SEEN IN TOP SECTION OF MILITARY VEHICLE ARMOURED VEHICLE / CARS DRIVING BY TUNISIAN FLAG WAVING / CARS IN STREET POLICE WAVING DOWN CAR ARMOURED VEHICLE NEXT TO POLICE VANS CARS DRIVING ALONG MAJOR ROAD ARMED MEMBER OF MILITARY VARIOUS OF ARMOURED VEHICLE IN SQUARE / CARS DRIVING BY VARIOUS OF POLICE STANDING BY POLICE CARS CARS AND PEDESTRIANS ON STREET MILITARY PICKUP TRUCK PARKED IN STREET MEMBER OF MILITARY IN PICKUP TRUCK PEDESTRIANS TALKING TO POLICE IN STREET CARS IN STREET
- Keywords: COVID-19 Tunisia army army deployed coronavirus enforcement lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6ETJ5Z
- Location: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- City: TUNIS, TUNISIA
- Country: Tunisia
- Duration: 00:02:04
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text:Tunisia deployed its army on the streets of the capital Tunis on Tuesday (March 24) to force people to respect a lockdown imposed to halt the spread of coronavirus.
Armoured vehicles were parked in main streets, creating various checkpoints with armed military forces standing guard next to city police.
The state imposed a curfew last week and a general lockdown from Sunday (March 22) that keeps people in their homes except to buy necessities.
Tunisia had imposed a curfew across the nation during the 2011 revolution, but has also used it in some towns since then, during protests over the weak economy and poor living standards.
Last week, police arrested several people who had ignored a quarantine order after they arrived from overseas, and had to disperse a crowd that had gathered to watch a traditional ram fight.
Tunisia has 89 confirmed cases of the virus.
(Production: Jihed Abidellaoui, Nadeen Ebrahim)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 16:31
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None