- Title: Siberian nuns take unorthodox approach to tackling coronavirus
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) CONGREGATION MEMBER, NATALIA, SAYING: "As long as you believe, if you pray, nothing will happen to you and everything will be fine. Nothing will touch you; the main thing is that you have faith here (inside). That's it, I think we should all have our own protection here (inside). God will protect us." ALEXANDER NEVSKY CATHEDRAL (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) CONGREGATION MEMBER, LYUDMILA, SAYING: "According to your faith be it done to you. God will help those who believe and not those that don't. I don't feel anything. Those who want to be healthy will be healthy, those who want to be ill will be ill." (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) CONGREGATION MEMBER, LYUDMILA, SAYING: "All in God's hands, firstly. Secondly, the fact you can smell the incense throughout the whole cathedral and how it will work, I don't know. Everyone has their own mind about it. But it's great they're taking some measures (against coronavirus)." CATHEDRAL DOME
- Keywords: COVID-19 Ekaterinburg Orthodox Church Russia coronavirus incense nuns
- Reuters ID: LVA003C6EW8C9
- Location: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA
- City: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:00:55
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Nuns at the Novo-Tikhvinsky Convent in the Russian Urals city of Yekaterinburg have taken an unorthodox approach to tackling the coronavirus pandemic by producing their own incense.
"We switched to using essential oils that have special anti-viral properties," Novo-Tikhvinsky Convent nun Evstafiya said.
The incense, which comprises geranium, lavender lemon and basil, is now being used during services at the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and is available to buy for home use at the cathedral shop.
One churchgoer, Lyudmila, said she did not know whether the incense would work, but thought it was good the church was taking steps to tackle coronavirus.
Russia has recorded 438 cases of the coronavirus and one death.
(Production: Alexander Pugachev, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 14:57
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None