- Title: Siberian nuns take unorthodox approach to tackling coronavirus
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA (MARCH 20, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF NUN MIXING INGREDIENTS IN BOWL BOTTLES ON TABLE VARIOUS OF NUN MIXING INGREDIENTS IN HAND INGREDIENTS IN BOWLS NUN SLICING UP INCENSE WITH PIZZA CUTTER NUN CHOPPING UP SLICES OF INCENSE NUN MIXING INGREDIENTS TOGETHER TIN CONTAINING INCENSE PELLETS READING (Russian): "MONASTRY INCENSE" (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) NOVO-TIKHVINSKY CONVENT NUN, EVSTAFIYA, SAYING: "We switched to using essential oils that has special anti-viral properties, including geranium, lavender lemon and basil, four names that facilitate the body's recovery and protect it from various bacteria, which is of particular importance at the moment." INCENSE IN TIN (SOUNDBITE) (Russian) NOVO-TIKHVINSKY CONVENT NUN, SEVASTYANA, SAYING: "People that suffer from breathing disorders, asthma, bronchitis and the like, it (incense) can make breathing easier to a certain extent. It has that effect, people that suffer from such illnesses said that they can breathe more easily."
- Keywords: COVID-19 Ekaterinburg Orthodox Church Russia coronavirus incense nuns
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EW8C9
- Location: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA
- City: YEKATERINBURG, RUSSIA
- Country: Russia
- Duration: 00:01:44
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Nuns at the Novo-Tikhvinsky Convent in the Russian Urals city of Yekaterinburg have taken an unorthodox approach to tackling the coronavirus pandemic by producing their own incense.
"We switched to using essential oils that have special anti-viral properties," Novo-Tikhvinsky Convent nun Evstafiya said.
The incense, which comprises geranium, lavender lemon and basil, is now being used during services at the Alexander Nevsky Cathedral and is available to buy for home use at the cathedral shop.
One churchgoer, Lyudmila, said she did not know whether the incense would work, but thought it was good the church was taking steps to tackle coronavirus.
Russia has recorded 438 cases of the coronavirus and one death.
(Production: Alexander Pugachev, Peter Scott)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 14:57
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None