- Title: Beijing Zoo reopens as coronavirus situation cools in China
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: BEIJING, CHINA (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) EXTERIOR OF BEIJING ZOO VARIOUS OF PEOPLE QUEUING TO GET INSIDE ZOO PEOPLE WALKING UP AND DOWN STEPS VISITORS STANDING AND WATCHING PANDA VISITOR TAKING PICTURE OF PANDA WITH SMARTPHONE PANDA EATING BAMBOO AND TWO CHILDREN WATCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) BEIJING ZOO VISITOR, ZHAO, SAYING: "(I) think the epidemic is under control now. There shouldn't be a problem with whoever is going out. There are mainly imported cases now. After they return, they self-quarantine and after the quarantine, I think (the situation) should be fine." PANDA EATING BAMBOO VISITORS WATCHING BEHIND GREEN FENCES (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) BEIJING ZOO VISITOR, WANG RAN, 35-YEAR-OLD, SAYING: "I am very happy as the weather is good recently. When the weather is good, I would feel like going out for a walk. I'm rather excited. Just like what has been said on the internet: it's how dogs feel (when they get to go outside)." REPORTER ASKING: "WHAT KIND OF FEELING?" "Finally can go out! That kind of feeling." BOY STANDING AND WATCHING POLAR BEAR POLAR BEAR WALKING AROUND PEOPLE LOOKING THROUGH GLASS ENCLOSURE, WOMAN THROWING ITEM MONKEY SQUATTING ON BRANCH BOY WATCHING (SOUNDBITE) (Mandarin) BEIJING ZOO VISITOR, JIANG NAN, SAYING: "It's been several months already since I visited the zoo the last time." REPORTER ASKING: "HOW DO YOU FEEL ABOUT IT?" "Happy. It would be great if the indoor exhibition centers are open. But it has already been great." REPORTER: "ARE YOU WORRYING ABOUT THE SPREAD OF THE VIRUS?" "No. I think Beijing's prevention and control have been done well. And I think our awareness of prevention and control are also good. So I'm not that worried." CHILD TAPPING ON GLASS CLEANING STAFF CLEANING GLASS ENCLOSURE PARENT WITH CHILD LOOKING PEOPLE WATCHING MONKEYS, MONKEY INSIDE MONKEYS PLAYING VISITORS SEEN THROUGH GLASS PANEL BEARS PLAYING VISITING IN THE ZOO PEOPLE STANDING WITH RED BANNER READS (Chinese): "NO GATHERING TOGETHER, NO GATHERING IN GROUPS" VISITORS WALKING
- Keywords: Beijing Zoo China China back to normal life China coronavirus
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6ET4XZ
- Location: BEIJING, CHINA
- City: BEIJING, CHINA
- Country: China
- Duration: 00:03:25
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Beijing Zoo welcomed visitors on Tuesday (March 24) as China reported 78 new coronavirus cases, the majority of which were imported from overseas.
The zoo had reopened its outdoor exhibits on Monday (March 23) after a 59-day closure since late January. Indoor facilities such as restaurants and exhibition centers remain closed.
Visitors were required to buy tickets a day in advance if they want to take a tour and the zoo was also limiting the number of visitors to 30% of a normal day before the pandemic.
A visitor compared her day out to the zoo as similar to how dogs feel when they get to leave the house.
"When the weather is good, I would feel like going out for a walk. I'm rather excited. Just like what has been said on the internet: it's how dogs feel," said 35-year old Wang Ran.
China's foreign ministry said on Tuesday that most of the so-called imported cases of the coronavirus reported in the country so far involve Chinese nationals who have travelled back to China from overseas.
(Production: Thomas Suen, Fang Nanlin, Travis Teo)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 11:00
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None