- Title: Athens, a bustling city at night, now dark and empty
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: ATHENS ,GREECE (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) TRAVELLING SHOT IN CAR DOWN THE MAIN STREET OF PANEPISTIMIOU STREET IN CENTRAL ATHENS AT NIGHT, FULL OF SHOPS AND CAFES, STREETS AND SIDEWALKS EMPTY TRAVELLING SHOT ON STADIOU STREET AND AROUND SYNTAGMA SQUARE, MAIN STREETS AND SQUARE IN CENTRAL ATHENS, FULL OF SHOPS, CAFES, HOTELS, AND USUALLY BUSTLING WITH PEOPLE, STREETS AND SIDEWALKS EMPTY AT NIGHT TRAVELLING SHOT OF LONE JOGGER JOGGING PAST PARLIAMENT BUILDING AND EVZONE SOLDIERS, AT NIGHT, A POPULAR GATHERING SPOT TRAVELLING SHOT AROUND OMONIA SQUARE, ANOTHER MAIN SQUARE IN ATHENS, WITH CAFES, RESTAURANTS AND TAVERNS, USUALLY PACKED AT NIGHT FULL OF PEOPLE TRAVELLING SHOT OF ATHENS RING ROAD HEADING OUT OF CITY CENTRE, USUALLY FULL AT NIGHT, COMPLETELY EMPTY OF CARS AT NIGHT, HIGHWAY LEAVING CITY CENTRE, ALSO USUALLY FULL, EMPTY OF VEHICLES
- Keywords: Athens Greece empty sidewalks empty streets night
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EWSW7
- Location: ATHENS, GREECE
- City: ATHENS, GREECE
- Country: Greece
- Duration: 00:02:32
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Athens, a city that never sleeps, was like an eerie ghost town late on Monday (March 23) after the government imposed a lockdown in the country due to coronavirus.
Greeks are known for their late eating and entertaining, but the usually active streets, full of people at night at cafes, bars, taverns, night-clubs, or full of tourists or locals just taking a stroll, were empty.
The lockdown came into force early on Monday, prohibiting people from leaving their homes, excepting for grocery shopping, doctor and pharmacy visits, or exercise.
As of Monday Greece had 695 cases of coronavirus, and 17 people had died from the infection.
(Production: Vassilis Triandafyllou, Deborah Kyvrikosaios)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 12:48
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None