- Title: Lebanese take steps to stop the spread of coronavirus
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: MAN WEARING FACE MASK INSIDE SUPERMARKET DURING HOUR DEDICATED FOR ELDERLY FRUITS AND VEGETABLES ON DISPLAY VARIOUS OF SHOPPERS AT THE SUPERMARKET OLDER MAN WEARING FACEMASK AND GLOVES SHOPPING (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) HOUSEWIFE SHOPPING AT SUPERMARKET DURING HOUR DEDICATED FOR ELDERLY, NARIMAN CHEHAB, SAYING: "I used to come shopping twice or three times a week, now I am trying to come only once so I leave the turn for others, to avoid causing a crowd. I come, shop quickly and head back home. I am committed to self-quarantine for the general health." VARIOUS OF SIGNS ON THE FLOOR READING (English): 'STAY SAFE' INDICATING WHERE PEOPLE COULD STAND TO KEEP DISTANCE VARIOUS OF SHOPPERS WITH FACE MASK VARIOUS OF WORKER CHECKING THE BODY TEMPERATURE OF SHOPPERS BEFORE THEY ENTER STORE WORKER DISTRIBUTING GLOVES AND FACE MASKS VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AT THE SUPERMARKET WITH FACE MASK CUSTOMER AT CASHIER WITH EMPLOYEE BEHIND GLASS VARIOUS OF WORKER SANITISING SUPERMARKET TROLLEY OUTSIDE THE SUPERMARKET CUSTOMERS LEAVING THE SUPERMARKET EMPTY STREETS IN BEIRUT BEIRUT, LEBANON (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) SMALL GROCERY SHOP OPERATING SIGN READING (Arabic): 'WE HAVE FACE MASKS' (SOUNDBITE) (Arabic) GROCERY SHOP OWNER, ZAKARIA, SAYING: "Honestly, we can't close because we need to meet people's needs. At the same time, we are taking precautions: disinfecting all items customers are taking, and customers themselves are taking precautions too. As you can see, we are wearing gloves and face masks and we spray everything (with alcohol)." VARIOUS OF ZAKARIA SPRAYING ITEMS AND MONEY WITH ALCOHOL VARIOUS OF CLOSED SHOPS AND RESTAURANTS VARIOUS OF POLICEMAN WITH FACE MASK CHECKING PASSING CARS VARIOUS OF BEIRUT'S DESERTED SEASIDE CORNICHE BEIRUT, LEBANON (MARCH 21, 2020) (REUTERS) (NIGHT SHOTS) VARIOUS OF LEBANESE ARMY SOLDIERS ON THE STREETS ASKING PEOPLE TO STAY HOME
- Keywords: Lebanon business coronavirus elderly health shutdown supermakets
- Reuters ID: LVA003C6EWJEV
- Location: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- City: BEIRUT, LEBANON
- Country: Lebanon
- Duration: 00:03:20
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Government/Politics
- Story Text:Lebanese grocery stores are taking measures to curb the spread of coronavirus, introducing shopping hours for the elderly and disinfecting goods being sold.
Lebanon's government has declared a medical state of emergency since the outbreak and ordered most of the country closed, including the airport.
The deadly virus has resulted in four death and 304 people have tested positive in the country so far.
Lebanese Prime Minister Hassan Diab has previously authorised the security forces to enforce stricter measures to keep people at home and prevent gatherings. He has also called on the Lebanese to go out only if absolutely necessary and warned that the rising number of infections "foreshadows an imminent danger threatening society."
Experts warn the country's healthcare system is ill-prepared, as a financial crisis and dollar shortages have for months drained it of critical supplies.
(Production: Issam Abdallah, Alaa Kanaan, Yara Abi Nader, Bharati Naik)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 18:30
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None