Turkish newspaper's front page blank, to be discarded in fight against coronavirusRecord ID: 1465645
- Title: Turkish newspaper's front page blank, to be discarded in fight against coronavirus
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: ANKARA, TURKEY (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) BLANK COVER PAGE OF TURKISH SOZCU NEWSPAPER NEWSPAPERS ON STALL MAN GETTING NEWSPAPER MAN GETTING RID OF THE COVER PAGE VARIOUS OF MAN READING NEWSPAPER ISTANBUL, TURKEY (MARCH 24, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF MUNICIPALITY WORKERS COOKING FOOD MUNICIPALITY WORKERS CHECKING ROAD MAP VARIOUS OF WORKERS GETTING FOOD OUT OF THEIR VAN AND DELIVERING (SOUNDBITE) (Turkish) HOUSEWIFE, NAZIFE SARIBULAK, SAYING: "I am not going out. I haven't gone out for the past week. I am staying at home. Thank God for all the food and the aid" WORKERS DELIVERING FOOD
- Keywords: Turkey coronavirus curfew food delivery newspaper
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6ETF7R
- Location: ANKARA, ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- City: ANKARA, ISTANBUL, TURKEY
- Country: Turkey
- Duration: 00:02:13
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Turkish daily newspaper Sozcu circulated with a blank front page on Tuesday (March 24), encouraging readers to discard it immediately in a bid to tackle the coronavirus contagion.
The empty cover page read: "We put a distance between you and the virus... Pull and discard and read your clean paper".
Turkey's government increased support for elderly people isolated at home and tightened restrictions on food shopping and travel on Tuesday after the country's death toll from the coronavirus rose to 37.
At the weekend, Turkey imposed a partial curfew on citizens aged over 65 or with chronic diseases and created groups to meet their needs in a bid to stem the spread of the outbreak among the most vulnerable.
The groups have so far answered more than 120,000 requests for material aid, the Interior Ministry said.
(Production: Mert Ozkan, Umit Bektas, Omer Berberoglu)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 14:47
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None