"Do not want to be as bad as Italy", say Indians under world's largest coronavirus lockdownRecord ID: 1465665
- Title: "Do not want to be as bad as Italy", say Indians under world's largest coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: NEW DELHI, INDIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF VEHICLES MOVING ON LARGELY DESERTED ROADS VARIOUS OF EXTERIOR OF SUBWAY METRO STATION DESERTED ROAD AS FAMOUS AKSHARDHAM TEMPLE IS SEEN IN THE BACKGROUND MAN RIDING MOTORBIKE ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DELHI RESIDENT, PANKAJ, SAYING: "Lockdown is a good thing. If there is life then only there is world. This lockdown is for public's benefit only." PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) WOMAN ON SCOOTER RETURNING FROM BARRICADED ROAD AMBULANCE MOVING ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD PEOPLE ON TWO-WHEELERS ON LARGELY DESERTED ROAD EXTERIOR OF RESIDENTIAL BUILDING VARIOUS OF PEOPLE OUTSIDE RESIDENTIAL BUILDING WEARING MASKS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) PUNE RESIDENT, NILESH SHAH, SAYING: "If we want to save our country and not take it to the level of Italy, Britain, Spain, and other countries, then it is very important to stay home. It is all for one and one for all. Take care of yourself." DEHRADUN, UTTARAKHAND, INDIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF DESERTED MARKET AREA AND SHUT SHOPS LOCKS ON SHOP SHUTTERS POLICE TALKING TO PEOPLE IN CAR NEAR BARRICADE VARIOUS OF POLICE ASKING PEOPLE ON VEHICLES TO RETURN (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) DEHRADUN RESIDENT, KAMALDEEP KAMBOJ, SAYING: "Despite the appeal from our Prime Minister, we are stepping out. Now the government will be forced to shut everything down so that this disease doesn't become a horrible situation like it is in those other countries. It is terrible there. Government is trying its best to help but people don't understand." MAN TAKING SACKS OF WHEAT FLOUR ON HIS SHOULDER AND LOADING ON MINI TRUCK OPEN MEDICAL STORE MAN TAKING SACKS OF ESSENTIAL RAW FOOD ITEMS ON CYCLE CARRIER PEOPLE IN MARKET AREA POLICE ON VEHICLE MAKING ANNOUNCEMENT ASKING PEOPLE TO STAY INDOORS AFTER ESSENTIALS RELAXATION TIME IS OVER
- Keywords: COVID-19 India Italy Maharashtra coronavirus curfew disease lockdown
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EUSZZ
- Location: PUNE, MAHARASHTRA/ DEHRADUN, UTTARAKHAND/ NEW DELHI, INDIA
- City: PUNE, MAHARASHTRA/ DEHRADUN, UTTARAKHAND/ NEW DELHI, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:03:42
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: Indians on Tuesday (March 24) said they would abide by the government's call to stay indoors as 499 positive coronavirus cases prompted the world's largest lockdown.
"If we do not want take it to the level of Italy, Britain, Spain, and others, then it is very important to stay home," said a resident in western Pune city, Nilesh Shah.
Police enforced lockdowns across large parts of India on Tuesday, with curfews in some places, as health officials warned that the coronavirus was spreading out of big cities where it first appeared into the small towns that dot the landscape.
Health researchers have warned that more than a million people in India could be infected with the coronavirus by mid-May.
India has already severed international flight links and domestic air services will stop at midnight in a bid to halt the spread.
About three quarters of the country was under lockdown on Tuesday with most of the rest expected to follow suit by the end of the day.
Prime Minister Narendra Modi is due to address the nation for a second time in a week on the risks to the country of 1.3 billion people from the virus that emerged in China late last year and has spread to 194 countries.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 12:30
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None