- Title: Indians crowd vegetable markets amid coronavirus lockdown
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: LUDHIANA, PUNJAB, INDIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) MARKET AREA PEOPLE IN VEGETABLE MARKET CAULIFLOWERS ON MINI TRUCK PEOPLE BUYING CAULIFLOWERS PEOPLE IN VEGETABLE MARKET MAN CARRYING SACK OF CAULIFLOWERS MAN ARGUING WITH VEGETABLE VENDOR POLICE SHOUTING AT PEOPLE TO RETURN/PEOPLE RUNNING AS POLICEMAN WALKS TOWARDS THEM (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) LUDHIANA RESIDENT, RAMANANDA, SAYING: "We came to buy vegetables but police beat us with batons. (REPORTER ASKING: Government has put a lockdown because of this disease, so is that why they are beating people?) There is this disease and lockdown is also necessary, I agree. But there has to be some time when we can buy vegetables because otherwise what will we eat?" PUNE, MAHARASHTRA, INDIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) VARIOUS OF PEOPLE AND VEHICLES AT WHOLESALE VEGETABLE MARKET VARIOUS OF PEOPLE BUYING VEGETABLES VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CARRYING VEGETABLES IN LARGE QUANTITIES WOMAN ARGUING WITH POLICE/POLICE FORCEFULLY REMOVING WOMAN VARIOUS OF PEOPLE CARRYING LARGE QUANTITIES OF VEGETABLES (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) AGRICULTURE PRODUCE MARKET COMMITTEE ADMINISTRATOR, B J DESHMUKH, SAYING: "We were trading wholesale from 3-8 am (GMT 2130-0230). After that a lot of retail purchasers, local residents also started to flock markets. So, we have stopped people from coming in now and have asked them not to come and save yourself from the spread of this disease." KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) (HD) PEOPLE IN VEGETABLE MARKET VEGETABLE VENDOR RATAN SAHA PACKING POTATOES FOR CUSTOMER PILE OF ONIONS PILE OF GARLIC VARIOUS OF PEOPLE IN MEAT AND FISH MARKET PEOPLE BUYING EGGS EGGS (SOUNDBITE) (Hindi) VEGETABLE VENDOR, RATAN SAHA, SAYING: "Public stocked like crazy yesterday (that's why prices are high). Today, the crowd is relatively low. Lockdown is there but we will be open till 5 pm (GMT 1130) every day. But people are panicking; those who need 2 kilograms were buying 20 kilograms. We tried to refuse, we told them that vegetables will be available every day till 5 pm but they don't listen to us." MORADABAD, UTTAR PRADESH, INDIA (MARCH 24, 2020) (ANI - NO USE INDIA) VARIOUS OF CROWD AT WHOLESALE VEGETABLE MARKET
- Keywords: COVID-19 India coronavirus crowd curfew disease fruits lockdown market milk vegetables
- Reuters ID: LVA001C6EUQMN
- Location: PUNE, MAHARASHTRA/ LUDHIANA, PUNJAB/MORADABAD, UTTAR PRADESH/ KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- City: PUNE, MAHARASHTRA/ LUDHIANA, PUNJAB/MORADABAD, UTTAR PRADESH/ KOLKATA, WEST BENGAL, INDIA
- Country: India
- Duration: 00:04:25
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Economic Events
- Story Text: Large crowds flocked vegetable markets and dairies to buy essentials on Tuesday (March 24) as state governments across India declared lockdowns, curfews, and movement restrictions.
Police were seen using mild force in some areas in order to force people to stay inside homes. However, misinformation and panic led Indians to markets to stock essentials.
India has recorded 499 positive cases of COVID-19 and ten deaths so far and the numbers are rapidly rising.
- Copyright Holder: ANI (India)
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 07:39
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None