Argentina confirms 'community spread' of coronavirus, announces aid to UK citizens in FalklandsRecord ID: 1465699
- Title: Argentina confirms 'community spread' of coronavirus, announces aid to UK citizens in Falklands
- Date: 24th March 2020
- Summary: BUENOS AIRES, ARGENTINA (MARCH 23, 2020) (REUTERS) VARIOUS OF POLICE ENFORCING RESTRICTIONS ON MOVEMENTS
- Keywords: Argentina Buenos Aires Falkland Islands President Alberto Fernandez aid coronavirus economy measures pandemic quarantine
- Reuters ID: LVA001C69YP1J
- Location: INTERNET / BUENOS AIRES + OLIVOS, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE + CAMPO DE MAYO, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE + PALOMAR, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE, ARGENTINA
- City: INTERNET / BUENOS AIRES + OLIVOS, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE + CAMPO DE MAYO, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE + PALOMAR, BUENOS AIRES PROVINCE, ARGENTINA
- Country: Argentina
- Duration: 00:00:18
- Aspect Ratio: 16:9
- Topics: Health/Medicine
- Story Text: The Argentine government announced on Monday (March 23) it had reached out to Britain's ambassador in Buenos Aires to offer material support to the inhabitants of the Falkland Islands hit by the coronavirus outbreak, almost four decades after losing control of the territory in a two-month war.
Buenos Aires also announced a one-time payment of 10,000 pesos ($158) in April to low-income or informal workers unable to pay their bills because of the nationwide shutdown ordered to halt the spread of the coronavirus.
The Emergency Family Payment is intended for 3.6 million families, Economy Minister Martin Guzman told a news conference. "What we are doing is making sure that everyone who lives in Argentina is protected in this crisis situation," Guzman said.
Argentina has seen 301 cases and four dead from COVID-19 so far, and President Alberto Fernandez has ordered a national quarantine from last Friday until March 31.
Officials also confirmed that community spread of coronavirus has been identified in the country, prompting authorities to seek tougher measures to tackle the virus moving further across the country.
(Production: Juan Bustamante, Miguel Lo Bianco, Paul Vieira)
- Copyright Holder: REUTERS
- Copyright Notice: (c) Copyright Thomson Reuters 2020. Open For Restrictions - http://about.reuters.com/fulllegal.asp
- Embargoed:7th April 2020 01:35
- Usage Terms/Restrictions: None